Sticky Tutorial

Activating Your New SIM

• 17 December 2018
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge

Have you just received a new SIM from us? Then this is the place to find out what to do next. It all depends on whether your SIM is for 1) a new connection, 2) an upgrade, or 3) a replacement. Here's what to do in each of these situations:

1. New connection.

If you've purchased a new connection, the SIM card you receive should already be activated. Simply pop it into your handset, and you're good to go.

SIM not working? This article might help: 

2. Upgrade

If you've recently upgraded with us, your new plan allowances should now be available to use on your current SIM.

You might receive a new SIM card in the post. This is just in case you've upgraded to a new phone, and your current SIM doesn't fit. So, if your existing SIM is fine, just store the new one in a safe place in case you need it in the future.

If you ever need to use the new SIM, you can activate it, in the iD Mobile App or My Account online by:

• Logging in to the app or online account. 
  •  Going to the 'My Services' page 
  • Clicking 'Activate my SIM'
  • Scanning your SIM card barcode or entering the 19-digit number printed on the SIM cardholder*

Once you click 'Activate your SIM', the new SIM will be activated within a few hours. 

*If you don't have the cardholder any more, don't worry - the number's also printed on the back of the SIM card itself. It's an 11-digit number, and you just need to add '89442001' to the start of it if you need to input it somewhere.

If you're not registered for iD Mobile App or My Account online, you can activate your SIM here

3. Replacement

If you've received a replacement SIM because your old one was lost, stolen, damaged, or the wrong size, you will need to activate your new SIM. You can activate it in the iD Mobile App or My Account online by:

• Logging in to the app or online account. 
  •  Going to the 'My Services' page 
  • Clicking 'Activate my SIM'
  • Scanning your SIM card barcode or entering the 19-digit number printed on the SIM cardholder * 

Once you click 'Activate your SIM', the new SIM will be activated within a few hours. 

*If you don't have the cardholder any more, don't worry - the number's also printed on the back of the SIM card itself. It's an 11-digit number, and you need to add '89442001' to the start of it if you need to input it somewhere.

If you're not registered for the iD Mobile app or My Account online, you can activate your SIM here

Got a question on your SIM? Then check out 'All you need to know about your new SIM', or ask it below.

39 replies

New SIM not working

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

New SIM not working

Hello @Hannah black jones 

I’m sorry to hear this.

Is this a replacement SIM or a new SIM purchased on a new contract?

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

From contract to sim nothing haven't been able to use my phone since 31st December emergency only or no service i have tried everything I've been advised to do but still nothing anyone out there can help me on my tablet now as that's the only way to receive emails messages.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Lyndafisher48 ,

We’ve taken your email out of your post to protect your data.

Did you receive a new SIM when you made the change on your account 

Phil 

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much for trying to help me i am all sorted now and I really appreciated your help thanks again silly old woman am i

Userlevel 1

Thanks Phil the trouble was with the sim they sent me a new sim but told me not to use it

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hey @Lyndafisher48,

That’s great to hear! We’re glad this is all sorted now. :)

Ryan

Hi iD, 

I received a replacement sim but cannot activate it because I can’t get My Account to work (on both my phone and laptop). If I press ‘log in’ etc. it freezes up or doesn’t do anything. Can an iD operative activate my sim on their end? 

All the best, 

Joe 

I just updated the app and signed in and it has automatically activated a replacement SIM i was sent a couple of months ago - I threw this SIM away as I didn’t need it.

How can I get my original SIM reactivated? I need phone access urgently for work purposes!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @JSM15 

I have sent you a private message with more details. 

Regards

Aklima 

Hi, I’m trying to activate my new SIM card however I get to the end of the activation process where I click on “Activate your sim” and I get the error message “Sorry, we're experiencing some issues processing your request. Please get in touch so we can get it sorted.”

Please help

Many thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @hen1188 

Sorry to hear this. 

I have sent you a private message with more details. 

Regards

Aklima

Userlevel 1

Hi can you please aclimate my sim

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Chris88 

Please contact our live chat team who will help activate your sim. 

Live Chat team are available for account related support.

They’re available between 9am – 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am- 6pm Saturday and Sunday.

Unfortunately, were working on a reduced staff due to COVID-19, and the team are extremely busy, so the Live Chat button may not always appear as `available`. If so, it may be a matter of waiting on the page, until the button appears blue, indicating that an agent is available. No need to refresh the page, this will happen automatically.

Aklima

Hi,

Could you please help me with my issue with SIM activation? I have tried to activate it in My Services as well as online, both ask me to contact ID support.

Thank you in advance! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @user131313,

We’re sorry to hear that! Please contact our Live Chat Team who will be able to process this manually. They’re available between 9am – 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am- 6pm Saturday and Sunday.

Let us know how you get on.

Ryan

Hi @Ryan ,

I’m trying to get on chat for 4 days now, no luck whatsoever :( 

Regards and many thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @user131313, sorry to hear this. I’ve just dropped you a private message so we’ll take it from there.

Thank you,

Rory

Good morning, I purchased a new Sim, I was told they would activate it for me, when inserting it into phone it says ‘activation required’ 

Its a brand new sim only contract. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @SteveSims,

Click here and you’ll be taken to the page that lets you know everything you need to activate that new SIM of yours.

If you do require any further assistance though, feel free to drop us another post.

Will

I have waited 24 hours for my replacement sim to activate and it hasn’t activated, what can I do? I have tried the recommended steps to get it to,work but nothing has worked.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Ilovemycat 

After trying the recommended steps, please turn your phone off and back on again, this normally helps with the SIM registration.

Please come back to us if you are still having issues after trying the reboot. 

Michelle 

Userlevel 1

alfaz.di.pi

Ihave received a new SIM from O2 to swap for my existing SIM. Do I have to make this swap, as everyone seems to be having a lot of  And my phone is working ok at the moment.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @alfaz.di.pi,

Are you asking how to put your number from an o2 SIM over to a new iD Mobile SIM?

Will

Userlevel 1

Hello Will thanks for the reply. To clarify, my present SIM with O2 is not lost, it is also working ok , and I have not or will not upgrade my phone. So why do I have  to swap a new o2 SIM into my phone.

Alfaz.di.pi

Why iD Mobile?