Solved

Can I use tethering?

• 23 May 2018
  • 9 replies

hi, in the q&a's it say's tethering is not allowed but goes on to warn that if you do it data allowances will be lost etc..... can i tether without permission, is it possible?
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 25 May 2018, 16:19

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @merseyscouse,

Welcome to the iD Community.

We don't provide tethering on our network.

You may be able to get this to work, however we don't provide support for this.
This is why there's a disclaimer below.

Mohammed

EDIT: I've renamed the topic so it's easier to see what it's about.
Tethering is easy to setup with modern Android phones. It seems ID Mobile don't allow Tethering because they are worried the user will use up all their data. So what? Surely it is up to the customer how they want to use their data allowance. If they run low they can always buy a top up (add on) which would of course mean more money for ID Mobile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Boeman1,

We don't restrict it on our network, we just advise against it.
Not everyone is able to set this up and yes, it does deplete data very quickly. We don't provide support on getting this working and not everyone will be as pre-emptive to purchase add-on's if required.

But, If you can get this to work, you can use it but it is at your own risk and if you go over your data spend, a charge would be applied.

Mohammed
I routinely use my wifi only tablet of my phone hotspot, but I can't do that on id, why are they so backwards? surely I should be able to do what I want with my data allowance
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hey @spexmaniac,

We do allow tethering, it's just not a supported feature. I have moved your post to this topic as it will help answer your question further. :)

Ryan
It says on the id website you do not allow tethering so I left you service!
https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/faq
under tethering it clearly says " Please note that we do not allow tethering on any of our current plans. If you do use this service it is likely to use up large amounts of your data allowance very quickly,"

"Do not allow" is pretty definate to me, but it doesn't matter as I have moved to another provider.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @spexmaniac,

I understand that our FAQ's state this, however it's more in relation to the fact that we don't support the feature, although your phone may still have the ability to use the feature.

We advise against it though as it can use up a high amount of data is a short period of time.

Ryan
My phone supported it on my last carrier, it didn't work on id, and now it works with my new carrier, looks pretty definative to me.

Why iD Mobile?