Solved

Credit check criteria not met for 2nd SIM order

• 10 September 2018
  • 7 replies

On 1st July, I ordered and received an iD Mobile SIM on a monthly SIM-only contract for my backup phone. It works fine.

Today, I ordered another iD Mobile SIM on a monthly SIM-only contract (£10pm) for my main phone. The order was cancelled because I didn't "meet the credit check criteria required for the contract".

This was worrying, because my credit check should be clean; so I've checked my credit details with Noddle & Experian, and they both report it as excellent.

When I rang iD CS, they checked the order and found nothing wrong. They could only suggest that a new order might not be authorised until at least 3 payments have been made on the first contract (2 payments made so far).

This seems a bit odd, and I can't see this condition in the Terms & Conditions - Is this really the situation?
icon

Best answer by Ryan 12 September 2018, 16:56

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 1
You are probably right, but I want to know for certain. It's not a lot to ask but iD have escalated this complaint out of all proportion. If as you say they need to check if I have paid my account on time, then they have already got 3 direct debit payments from me, so where is the problem?
Only too happy to keep you updated.
I purchased a contract for my son today then also tried to get one for myself as the deal was good but the lady in carphone warehouse told me I have to wait 30 days before i can have another credit check done? This is crazy and your potentially losing business
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @dlorde,

All of our orders are subject to a credit check and if the criteria has not been met then the order will be cancelled. If the criteria is met, then the order will need to pass our internal security check so this might be where the order has fallen short. We can't disclose the exact reason as to why an order would fail a security check as this would compromise the integrity of our checks.

It might be a case of having to wait before a second account is allowed to be purchased and from this position, we can only advise you to try and reorder. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Ryan
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @dlorde,

I understand. The reason for this not being displayed in our T&Cs is because it's not applicable to everyone as it depends on each individual case.

Ryan
OK.

It seems to me that if I need to wait before purchasing a second account, this should be made clear in the T's & C's if not elsewhere. Telling me I've failed a credit check if I haven't is not the best way to inspire confidence.

But thanks to this uncertainty, I've found a deal that's better for my needs with a different supplier. I will probably move my existing iD account to this supplier too.
Userlevel 1
I too have had this problem and I don't think that iD fully realise how serious this rejection is.
If I want to apply for credit anywhere else I would be expected to declare that I have a failed credit check on my record.
This is not something that I am prepared to accept and so I made a complaint to the appropriate department. Unfortunately I was given such a run around that I had to apply for a SAR.
This is a legal requirement for the Company to declare the full details of the credit check. It is a Subject Access Request and is available from the Information Commissioners Office for free.
Do not be put off by the complaints department pass the parcel tactics. It is possible and I should know the outcome within 30 days.
Your good credit record is extremely valuable - don't let anyone ruin it for no good reason.
Good luck.
@bekay41 - Thanks for that information!

I really don't think that the security check for a 2nd SIM strictly counts as a credit check; as I understand it, no credit check is made for this, it's just iD Mobile requiring that you've made a payment on one account before opening another. As such, it should not be called a 'credit check'.

But your advice is sound - please update this discussion thread with the outcome as I only have a verbal acknowledgement of the security check details.

Why iD Mobile?