Solved

Dedicated "3" Network phone

• 4 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
I am currently on contract with the "3" Network, with my contract expiring on August 17th.
My phone is a "LG G4c" running Android 6.
I am thinking changing to a SIMO contract with ID and using the existing handset.
My question is- as my phone already uses the "3" Network, and I notice ID also uses it, will I be able just to insert a new ID SIM Card into the phone, and then use it without having to unlock the phone first?
Or do I have to get the phone unlocked before using the ID network
Any advice please, David of Scotland.
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 6 July 2018, 14:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Over-Count,

Welcome to the iD Community.

It's worth checking with Three UK, but handsets purchased from them may be unlocked already.
This means, popping an iD SIM into the phone should work fine.

If your handset is locked, since iD use Three UK for network coverage it's most likely you would still be able to use the SIM in your device. We can't guarantee this, as the phone was purchased from Three UK.

A quick google search shows this is the same for other networks who network share but not something guaranteed.

Such as EE and BT Mobile (where BT Mobile uses EE masts for coverage).

Mohammed

EDIT: I've moved your topic to the section Ask a question
Userlevel 1
If you do not get a network now on 3, then you will not get a network with ID because the piggyback to use the 3 network. Even checking the postcode is no good because it might say good but not inside any property, we have major issues at home, looking into other operators, 02 seems to work everywhere check them out.
Userlevel 1
I actually currently get a strong 4G signal on the "3" Network that I use on my present phone. ( In my local DG1 Postcode for Sth West Scotland) Hopefully the ID sim will work without unlocking- unless someone else knows differently?
Thanks for your reply 😉

Why iD Mobile?