Question

Nexus 5 compatability? Won't connect to mobile network.

• 25 April 2019
  • 4 replies

I've recently signed up for a sim only contract with iD mobile, switching from GiffGaff (which is working perfectly, but getting more expensive recently).

The phone is an unlocked LG Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.1 - and has been on Three and GiffGaff in the past with no issues.

Putting the iD mobile sim in it and viewing "Mobile Networks" in settings shows a few providers, including "iD".

Tapping on iD however results in a long "registering on iD" wait, before a message saying "Can't connect to this network at the moment. Try again later".

Putting the same sim in an old Samsung Galaxy S4 mini however seems to work perfectly - instantly gets the network and a data connection. Next to each other on the desk, the old Samsung picks up a phone and data signal perfectly, but the Nexus is perpetually showing a warning on the notifications saying "No Service. Selected network (iD) unavailable"

I've been trying for 2 days swapping sim cards over, resetting network settings, turning them off and waiting 10 minutes, turning Aeroplane mode on and off, cleaning the sim card, setting the APN details but nothing has worked.

I've checked https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets and it features "LG Nexus 5X" so I assumed this would be fine.

Please can somebody advise if there's a block on certain 'unapproved' phones? The next step is a full factory reset but I'd rather not do that if it's not going to help.

PS: Please don't direct me to the 'Live Chat', it's not been available once since I started looking into this.

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Peaceand

It is very hard to advise you anything else as you did perform all usual troubleshooting steps and tests already. Nexus 5 should work with iD just fine as the only requirement is 3G connectivity.

I am doubtful of fixing this problem with factory reset as usually simple reboot should fix it.

My only idea for now is to try "Safe Mode" and see if one of the apps are causing this issue.

Also did you port your number from Giffgaff to iD or got new number? When you port your number it may take few days to start working again.

Also, are you running custom ROM on your nexus 5? I had similar problem with connection when I was using Resurrection Remix OS on my Moto G3.

Kind Regards
Hi @Hikari,
I've not ported the number yet - I'm intending to use the iD number that I've been given just to make sure everything works first.

No custom ROM just straight Android.

Safe mode was a good idea, I hadn't tried that. But the result was just the same unfortunately.
Okay, another day of trying has left me frustrated and fed up - I've renewed my Giffgaff contract so I have a working phone for the weekend.

Next question - does anybody know how I cancel this iD contract and get my money back? I see this a lot "You've got 30 days to decide if we're right for you. That's our network promise." but there's no obvious way to inform them it's not right for me.
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Peaceand

For this you would need to contact Live Chat team, I believe they are the only ones that can cancel the contract for you.

Kind Regards

Why iD Mobile?