When do I need a new SIM card?

• 16 March 2018
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge
We can think of five occasions when you’ll need a new SIM card from us. These are:

1. When you join iD Mobile.

2. If your SIM is lost or stolen.

3. If your SIM gets damaged.

4. If you upgrade with us, and your new phone takes a different SIM size.

5. If you get a new phone from elsewhere, and it takes a different SIM size.

If any of these apply to you, here are a few more details to help you out:

1. You join iD Mobile.

When you join iD Mobile, we send you a shiny new SIM card with three different sizes on it (standard, micro and nano). You just need to choose the size you need and push it out from the perforated edges. Then pop it into your phone and you’re good to go.

2. Your SIM is lost or stolen.

If your SIM is lost or stolen, you need to contact us as soon as possible and ask us to place a bar on your account. This stops any unauthorised usage. At the same time, you can ask us to send you a replacement SIM. Visit our lost and stolen webpage for more information.

3. Your SIM get damaged.

If your SIM has been damaged and doesn’t work, head to our contact page and hit the Live Chat button. One of our agents will arrange for a new SIM to be sent to you within 2-3 days. If you need a new SIM right away, visit your nearest Carphone Warehouse and buy a replacement one for £5. Then activate it by getting in touch with us via Live Chat, or calling 0333 003 7777.

4. You upgrade with us, and your new phone takes a different SIM size.

If you upgrade with us, we automatically post a new SIM to you. If you need to use it, head to our contact page, hit the Live Chat button, and tell the agent you’d like to process a SIM swap.

5. You get a new phone from elsewhere, and it takes a different SIM size.

To get a replacement SIM for your new ‘non-iD’ phone, it’s the same process as point number 3 above.

19 replies

All I want to do if you place my SIM card as my SIM card is old and only goes up to 3 GB I need 4 g can someone please get in touch with me

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi June,

We can either send you a SIM through the post or you can visit a Curry’s store to get a new SIM card.

Can you advise if you have tried enabled 4G on the SIM card via your network settings?

Please let us know how you wish to proceed?

Kash

Hello I have looked at my settings and it's showing 2-3 G.

I am unable to get out to a curry's can you please send me out a new sim card  through the post please 

Many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@June Josling

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

I am currently on a monthly, SIM only contract but am intending to purchase a new iPhone 13. Do I need a new SIM card or can I continue with my 4G SIM card?

If a new SIM card is required, how do I obtain one?

Thank You,

Steve Harrison

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @foxeye1,

You can continue to use your current iD Mobile SIM card.

Kash

Just bought a new phone for my  son it's all set up but phone says there's No SIM Card and No Service. I've tried all the tips on your website and also activated the new SIM  box under My Services but can't get it to work. Can you help please.

My son phone number is REMOVED

thank you

liriane Bolfe

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Liriane Bolfe,

Is the phone unlocked? 

Does the SIM work in any other device at all?

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I am hoping to get another extra phone is it possible to get another sim to save removing the sim to use the other phone. Is this possible to run two phones on the one account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Mobile1970,

All numbers need to be registered under a different account separately.

One SIM can only be used in one handset at a time.

You’ll need to use a different username.

Kash

I upgraded my sim only package to a higher tier/data allowance a few days ago,  this is showing in my home area with the new data allowance, but now I’m getting text messages saying a new sim is in the post to me and will need to activate it?. Why would a new sim be being sent from just upgrading my data allowance? a process I have done twice before all with the same sim/number.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @t.m, iD routinely send out a new SIM when you UPGRADE in case your existing SIM doesn’t fit in the phone you intend to use with your UPGRADED plan.

Your existing SIM will continue to work - you don’t need to install and activate the new SIM, unless your old SIM doesn’t fit in the phone.

Good luck.

I recently obtained a Nokia 105 (2G/non- smartphone). When I put the ID SIM card into it I get "Searching" for network. When I tried a Vodafone SIM it connected to the Vodafone network straight away.

Do ID sims not work with 2G phones like the Nokia 105?

Userlevel 1

Agent this service is a disgrace 

Userlevel 1

Tried Facebook this chat group to speak to somebody email nothing I carnt even ring anybody now no network 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @AlastairScarlett 

Unfortunately the Nokia 105 is not a device we support, therefore wouldn’t expect our SIM cards to work inside it, sorry.

I’d recommend checking out our page on supported devices for usage on iD Mobile.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Martin Ayre 

I’m sorry you feel this way about our service, have you been on contact on Facebook?

Have you had service while on iD Mobile or not at all since joining us?

Tom

I recently upgraded my plan and phone. I was told to swap my SIM card from old phone into new but it won't work. SIM card is correctly inserted. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Daniel Trott 

Were you also sent a new SIM card? If so, you may need to switch to that one.

If not, you may need a replacement SIM card which can be picked up from your local Currys store and activated in the iD Mobile app/website or we can get in touch and have one sent out.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?