Question

Failing to meet credit check criteria - any suggestions please?

• 10 December 2021
  • 7 replies

I had seen several old topics regarding failing to meet credit check criteria, but wondered if anyone had any recent experience to help my husband understand why he’s been refused a cheap phone contract.

My husband has been trying to purchase an Alcatel 3L on a £12.99 monthly contract.  He had an email telling him he had failed to meet the credit check criteria.  After a lengthy Live Chat conversation he was told he failed because he hadn’t set up a Direct Debit (he had).  The operator cancelled the original order and told him to try again.  He reordered but this was also rejected - a further lengthy Live Chat ended with him being told to wait a month before trying again.  He was pretty fed up by this stage so entered into the online Complaint process which turned out to be another lengthy Live Chat and nothing at all to do with Complaints!.  He was told to phone and register his complaint and he would get a telephone reply within five days - he’s still waiting.

Has anyone had any success with getting these ‘fail to meet criteria checks’ resolved?  I just thought I would ask before he visits Vodaphone next week.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @KathB, the most common reason for this happening is because of minor mis-matches in the address and bank account details being entered at the time of application. 

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks @andewhite.  The crazy thing is that I have a phone and contract with iD - same address, same bank account.  We’ve been told ‘computer says no’ so that’s the end of it - there is no ‘human’ that looks at declined credit checks.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @KathB, PAYG plans don’t make a credit check and if you auto-pay it’s effectively same as pay monthly - anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @KathB,

Often it can be due to slight mismatches with the information supplied to us during the application process; please check that the date of birth has been entered correctly too.

If everything has been entered correctly then we wouldn’t be able to confirm further why the check has failed and you would need to try again at least 30-days later. Sorry about that.

Ryan

Hi @Ryan - thanks for your reply. 

There was definitely no mismatch of information regarding his name as listed on the electoral register, our bank account, our address or his date of birth.

On both his second and third ‘Live Chat’ he was told to leave a voicemail on your Complaints line and was told someone would return his call within five days.  Of course, no-one has got back to him, as he was promised.

He needs a new phone and has no intention of waiting a month to go through this rigmarole again.  As he’s been unable to deal with his complaint via iD he has referred the matter to the Ombudsman and has visited Vodaphone for his new mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@KathB,

We cant provide information regarding failed credit checks, further to this we are unable to overturn the decision.

We would advise to try again after 90 days.

If there is anything else that we can help with, please let us know.

Kash

Thanks for your reply @Kash.  My husband certainly wouldn’t wait 30 days, never mind 90!  He has now sorted a new mobile with another provider so doesn’t need to have anything to do with iD in the future.

Why iD Mobile?