Question

New pay monthly contract received handset but no SIM and don't know the phone number

• 5 October 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi, 8 days ago I started a new pay monthly contract with id mobile.  The handset was received fine the day after ordering, but the SIM never showed up.  A new mobile phone number is printed on the invoice that came with the handset after the text “Phone Number/Contract” (more on this later).

After a week, I contacted ID using live chat asking about the missing SIM.  To summarize this conversation, a replacement SIM was ordered.  I was told I would have to activate the replacement SIM on the ID website using the phone number on my original invoice.

The replacement SIM arrived in 2 days, and I tried to activate it, but the new phone number was not recognized, so I couldn’t activate it.  “The mobile number you entered doesn't match our records. Please try again.”

So I had a second session of live chat: during this session, my replacement SIM was apparently activated by the operator.  At the end, I was told to insert the SIM in the phone, power off/on after 1hr, and all would be fine.  I was also told that my new phone number (as written on the original invoice) was INVALID, and I was given a different phone number.  This number seemed oddly familiar but I didn’t realise why at the time.

Several hours later, and several re-starts later, the SIM is not working.  Further, I have realised that the second phone number I was given in the second live chat is my son’s phone number!  This number is registered to my name at the same address, but with a different email address and it’s a SIM only plan.  So it’s obviously not the correct number for my new pay monthly account.

This is now a very tangled tale, but the bottom line is I have a working handset (tested with a different SIM) and apparently I have a functional SIM provided as a replacement, but it won’t register on the network and I don’t know my phone number.

Please help!

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Oh blimey, this sounds like a bit of a nightmare, @lighthouse. So we can get you untangled, I’m going to send you a private message shortly.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?