Solved

Sim deactivation problem: ID Mobile please help!

I upgraded to a new handset about 6 months ago and, on the advice of ID customer services kept my old SIM rather than switch to the new one. Everything’s been fine until today when I downloaded the ID Mobile app for the first time on my new handset. I then received a text message saying “Good news! Your new SIM card is now in the process of being activated…” Since then I’ve now no service on my phone so assume the current (“old”) SIM has been deactivated.

I’m now away from my new and unwanted SIM card (still in its envelope) for over a week and really need to be able to use my phone. I’ve no idea what has caused the apparent deactivation of the old SIM but would be really grateful if there’s any way it could be reactivated.

Wisdom very gratefully received! Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Rory 30 May 2022, 15:26

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

That’s very odd, @LinguistSophie, I’ve never known the app to just randomly activate a SIM upon logging in. Unfortunately, the bad news is that, once a SIM has been deactivated like this, it can never be reactivated. So, the SIM that’s currently in your phone is essentially now dead and we won’t be able to resuscitate it. 

If you’re in the UK, you could speak to the FacebookTwitter or Live Chat teams and ask them to send a replacement SIM out to wherever you are now on a next-day DPD service, although that will require a signature/photo, so I’m not sure how feasible that is for you.

Alternatively, you can pop into a Currys store and grab a new SIM there. You’ll then need to speak to one of the teams above to get it activated.

If you’re abroad, the only thing you can do here is purchase a local PAYG SIM, though of course that will come with a new number.

Thank you,

Rory

Hi Rory and @linguistsophie

I am in exactly the same position. I arrived from the UK to Spain last week and my phone worked perfectly. 4 days later after receiving a message that my new sim Card was in the process of being activated the data roaming disappeared. I hadntreceived nor expected a new sim xard. This is obviously not a random case...

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Sorry to hear this, @Gillw. My advice to you would be the same as I gave to Sophie.

Thank you,

Rory

Thanks Rory, my point is that Sophies issue isn't just a one off as you intimated. My old sim was transferred into my new phone without issue in early May, no sim was sent to me before 30th May and on the 3rd of June whilst on holiday in Spain I get the same text as Sophie. No-one has been able to tell me why I've been given a new sim, which may or may not be at my home inthe UK.. This is beyond frustrating and I would like to know why its happened 

Hi,

My wife and I have just upgraded to our new phones. Placed our new sim cards in. We are not able to send or receive Texts or take/make phone calls from our new handsets with the same number. We have activated our new cards. Just need Tech to have a look into this please.

Ben.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Gillw, we’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Bwilkinson999, when upgrading, the new SIMs are sent as a spare, really. By default, it’ll be the old SIM that’s active, so could you please try using that for me?

If neither SIM is working, I’d recommend speaking to the FacebookTwitter or Live Chat teams so they can take a look at your account.

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?