Finally fingerprint log-in is here!

• 10 August 2018
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 2
The iD Mobile app just keeps getting better! You can now log into the app without having to remember your PIN or password.

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hello @Tim.Dalinian.Jones,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you have faced with logging into our app with your fingerprint credentials. The feature should, as far as I know, work fine with the phone that you are using.

You may have already tried this, however, can you clear the data/cache from the app through the settings and then uninstall the app completely? Once that has been done, please reinstall the app. When that has been done, log in for the first time with your Username and Password and enable the fingerprint log-in through the settings as you previously tried.

If this doesn’t work, let us know here and we’ll see what we can do further.

Regards,
Ryan

Hello there, iD Community - new iD Mobile customer here, and I know this is kinda a geriatric thread, but prior experience elsewhere suggests that posting in a relevant thread yields more community approval than failing to use the search function and posting a new thread.

I'm using a Google Pixel 3a XL - OS = Android 10, + rear mounted fingerprint sensor - and I already login to a couple of other apps with my fingerprint, so I'm aware as to how using Android's biometric login API ought to work:

1. Launch a 'fingerprint login' enabled app
  2. Receive from the app a 'fingerprint login' prompt screen
    • eg#1: "Biometric login - Touch the fingerprint sensor" / [ Cancel ]
    • eg#2: "Sign in to [App_Name] - Touch the fingerprint sensor" / [ Cancel ]
  3. Touch the fingerprint sensor
  4. App displays it's post-login home screen

I'm using the iD Mobile Android app (v2.2.1 - ie: the latest available version, "Last updated 12 Feb 2019"), downloaded directly from the Google Play Store. Within my iD Mobile app, I have switched 'Fingerprint Login' to "On" (ie: Menu > Login preference > 'Set Login preference' dialogue box > 'Fingerprint Login' = "On", as illustrated in 'Step 2' within the OP above).

But when I launch a fresh session with my iD Mobile app, it just presents its regular 'Log in' screen,

• ie: 'Username or email address' / 'Password' / [ Log in ],

rather than a 'fingerprint login' prompt screen,

• eg: "Sign in to iD Mobile - Touch the fingerprint sensor" / [ Cancel ].

Unsurprisingly, touching my fingerprint sensor has no effect and does NOT log me in to the iD Mobile app. Additionally, I can't find any relevant setting within the Google Android 10 Settings that needs to be switched to "On" to enable a successful biometric login prompt screen for my iD Mobile app.

So what gives? Is there something else I need to do to successfully instigate 'fingerprint login' for my iD Mobile app?

Thanks in advance for your troubleshooting assistance.

Yours in frustration, Tim

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your prompt response for solving my 'No Fingerprint Login' problem - there's much appreciated you are.

I carried out your suggested remedial course of action, as follows: 

1. clear the data/cache from the app ( [ Clear storage ] > App size = 18.77 MB / User data = 0 B / Cache = 0 B / Total = 18.77 MB)
  2. uninstall the app completely
  3. reinstall the app
  4. log in for the first time with your Username and Password 
  5. enable the fingerprint log-in (at the post-login 'Fingers at the ready' screen > 'Fingerprint login' switched from “Off" to "On")

FWIW,  in app Menu > Login preference > 'Set Login preference' dialogue box > 'Fingerprint Login' = "On".

However, this hasn't resolved my 'No Fingerprint Login' problem: on launching a fresh session with my iD Mobile app, it continues to just presents its regular 'Log in' screen,

• ie: 'Username or email address' / 'Password' / [ Log in ],

rather than a 'fingerprint login' prompt screen,

• eg: "Sign in to iD Mobile - Touch the fingerprint sensor" / [ Cancel ].

So we need some more remedial actions suggestions which I can try, in order to get my iD Mobile app to open with a 'fingerprint login' prompt screen.

Yours in gratitude, Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Tim.Dalinian.Jones,

So we’ve just found out that there is an issue with some devices for fingerprint log-in on Android 10. This is currently being looked into and we hope to have a fix within the next 3-months.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Mohammed

Thanks for the official problem acknowledgement by iD Mobile, Mohammed.

It's quite refreshing for a tech company to be so honest and transparent about a software shortcoming - much appreciated.

However, as a timeframe for fixing this 'No Fingerprint Login' problem for Android 10 devices, "10-months" seems to me to be especially unambitious.  After all, Android 11 is expected on Pixel phones in September 2020 - only 7 months away.

In my Google Play Store settings, I have 'Auto-update apps' switched on. So once a patched version of the iD Mobile Android app (with a fix for the 'No Fingerprint Login' problem for Android 10 devices) is released through the Play Store, and auto-updated on my Google Pixel 3a XL, it may be that I'll see a 'Fingerprint Login' prompt screen (eg: "Sign in to iD Mobile - Touch the fingerprint sensor" / [ Cancel ] ) on my first launching the patched version of the iD Mobile Android app.

Yet since there are several contingencies in that chain of events, all of which need to work correctly, then I'd be most grateful if iD Mobile could please post an announcement in this thread that a new version of the iD Mobile Android app is available in the Play Store, which should enable all fingerprint-sensor-equipped Android 10 devices to successfully use 'Fingerprint Login' to access the app.

Thanks in advance for coding a fix in the near future, and for posting its announcement below.

Yours in gratitude, Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Tim.Dalinian.Jones 

Sorry! My brain crossed wires there when typing Android 10.

What I meant is next 3-months, apologies again for the mixup.

There isn’t a way for us to set a reminder on this platform to notify you when there’s an update as it’s all manual but we’d expect there to be an update for this to start working once it’s done.

I’ll try my best to let you know, but as there’s no concrete time-frames and due to the high volume of contact we receive here, it may not be possible to get you an update to confirm this in 3-months time.

That said, I will try my best!

Mohammed

I have fingerprint sensor hardware but I am not even offered the option when I open the app - when when I have switched on the Fingerprint Login option?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I have fingerprint sensor hardware but I am not even offered the option when I open the app - when when I have switched on the Fingerprint Login option?

Have you tried updating the app? Are you still having the same issues?

I just use a bookmark link because I don't want to keep logging in with the dumb app, I think it must be the only app you have to keep logging in like an idiot

Hey there @Salfordian,

We've fed this back previously and believe this has been fixed now. The app no longer logs out and is session based. This will allow you to use our app whilst switching back and forth from other apps without being logged out.

With the addition of Fingerprint login, we've made it easier than ever to jump in, track your usage and carry on with your browsing/call etc.

We've also increased the amount of time available on the session timer so this should actually be longer than the website before you're timed out.

We'd recommend giving the app another chance following these updates and improvements!

Mohammed
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Blinkertoon,

Welcome to the iD Community!

You are correct. Your phone will have to have the fingerprint sensor hardware built-in in order for this feature to work.

Ryan
I can see the option in my app (on windows mobile) but presume it won't work unless your phone has the hardware - for instance, mine has iris login but not fingerprint AFAIK?
Userlevel 1
I just use a bookmark link because I don't want to keep logging in with the dumb app, I think it must be the only app you have to keep logging in like an idiot
Userlevel 1
No thanks, there should be no need to login, I don't know any other network that has an app you have to login like an idiot

Had the same problem on my A40 for a while now. When I first installed the ID Mobile app it worked fine, then stopped working and nothing has fixed it since. Looking forward to a fix soon. I have many other apps that work absolutely fine with fingerprint login.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

We’re aware of this issue @JonathanThorpe 

In a future update for the iD Mobile App we’re hoping to reintroduce the fingerprint login.  Fingers crossed it shouldn’t be too long at this point.

I have an new iphone se  that had touch sign in to id mobile. Then I decided to delete all settings on my old iphone and I lost touch id on my new one!. When I go to sign in preferences I just get PIN or password, no touch option. But the iphone has touch already set for other apps. I tried your chat service and uninstalled/reinstalled the app but still no touch option. Please help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @DavidChyandour 

Welcome to the iD Community.

I’ll get someone to pick this up for you and they’ll contact you via PM shortly.

Pearl

Funnily enough, when I logged on two days later I was given the option of setting fingerprint access, so the problem is solved. Just puzzled as to why there is not a simple way of doing it. No matter. It works now. Thanks.

Why iD Mobile?