Question

Can't Message when I am in Hungary

Userlevel 1
Hello, we recently visited Hungary, and met up with one of my cousins. I could phone him, no problem on his local phone +36nnnnnnn, but could not text him on the same number.

My wife's phone (EE) was fine, as was my work phone (Vodaphone).

I have Roaming set On, and International set On.

I have spoken to support but they could not suggest anything.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks very much in advance

Andrew

12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Andrew Olah

Are you using an iPhone by any chance? Did you try turning off iMessage if you do use iPhone?

Kind Regards
Userlevel 1
Hi Hikari, thanks for replying

No I am not using an Iphone, I have a Sony Experia E5.

Regards
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
And when you get error on your messages is recipient number showing as +447... or 07...?
Userlevel 1
Hi Hikari

It doesn't show anything, aprt from not saying 'sent'.

However, your comment got me wondering as to how can I tell the number of my phone? In my contacts list (at the top) it has a 'Myself' number which is empty.

Also, if I go into Settings/About phone/Status/Sim status/
My phone number=unknown
Roaming = Not Roaming
Neither of these can be changed.

Yet, in my ID Mobile app, roaming is set to on, as described in my initial post.

Regards
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi Andrew, if calls were working as expected then it's most likely your phone/ account is set up correctly.

Were you able to receive messages and then attempt to reply? This would have been a good way to test the service.

As Hungary is included in our 50 EU roaming destinations, usage to Hungarian numbers would be included whilst you are roaming in the country.

The information stored on your phone in your recent post would not affect the usage.
-Phil
Userlevel 1
Hi Phil,

I didn't try what you suggested, I suppose in retrospect I should have done. And, also tried other peoples numbers.

However, my wife's phone and my work phone both worked without any issues, or needing to change settings or anything else.

Regards
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Regarding your phone number in the device. It could be worth trying the following:

Turning the phone off > Removing the SIM > Turning the phone on (without a SIM inserted) and leaving it for a minute or so.
Then turn the phone > re-insert the SIM > and then turn the phone back on.

That can sometimes get your phone to refresh and check the number being reported from the SIM card. This could potentially prove helpful.

Did call and mobile data work whilst you were in Hungary? If not, then we'd advise checking that your phone has the correct APN settings, see here.
Userlevel 1
Hi Kevin,

I'll try re-inserting the SIM, and have a look at the APN settings.

Thanks for the suggestions, will let you know what happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
No problem @Andrew Olah,

Keep us updated here!

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Hello, I have powered off and re-inserted the SIM.

The APN settings seem to refer to MMS???, I'm not sure how this is relevant. Not realyy sure what APN is.

I really won't know if any of this stuff has worked until I goto to Hungary again, which will probably be in the Autumn.

Thanks for the suggestions
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Andrew Olah,

We'll leave the topic as unanswered then.

Let us know when you're next abroad and we will look into this further if you are still facing issues.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
ok, thanks

Why iD Mobile?