Solved

Cannot use my ID phone in Canada

• 27 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello. I am in Canada now and cannot use my phone to make calls. I have enabled roaming and international calls in my account app but still can't make calls. I have data roaming off in my network settings as don't want apps racking up charges. I am in northern Manitoba and only have access to the Bell, Rogers, Telus and MTS networks. Does IDMobile work with these networks? Or is it because data roaming was switched off when I left the UK? I do not seem to be able to switch it on. My requirement is not to be able to use data roaming but be able to make and receive calls
icon

Best answer by Gregor 27 September 2019, 21:02

Hello @davidm06

You should be able to use roaming in Canada. I am thinking, did you setup Bill Cap on your contract? Because one minute of call cost £6, it should be changed to any amount higher than £5, if your cap is set to mentioned £5 then your call will fail as iD Mobile will prevent your account from overcharging. Check how the cap setting is set in your iD Mobile and let us know if that helps.

Kind Regards.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6
Hello @davidm06

You should be able to use roaming in Canada. I am thinking, did you setup Bill Cap on your contract? Because one minute of call cost £6, it should be changed to any amount higher than £5, if your cap is set to mentioned £5 then your call will fail as iD Mobile will prevent your account from overcharging. Check how the cap setting is set in your iD Mobile and let us know if that helps.

Kind Regards.
That may have done it! I'm a bit confused though as I could not receive incoming calls but anyway - it seems to be working so many thanks.

Could I clarify one thing though. As I only want to be able to receive calls at particular times and want to be very careful to avoid use of data while not on wifi, if I have roaming on in the app and data roaming off on the phone network settings, does that allow that setup?

I have data roaming off on the phone network settings and am not able to change that as it was off when I left the UK.

Sorry for being a bit confused about this
Userlevel 8
Badge +6
Hey @davidm06

That is correct, you won't be able to use mobile data and you won't be charged for mobile data as long as this network setting is off, you should be able to toggle it at any time though. You are right to be careful with your data while roaming in Canada as it may get very expensive.

Bare in mind that you will be charged for receiving calls as well and that will be £1.50 per minute.

Kind Regards