Solved

Charged For Data Usage in EU

• 6 August 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
I travelled on a boat from Plymouth to Roscoff and got charged £3.28 for out of plan charges for 343KB of roaming data despite not leaving the EU and having almost 1GB of data left on my plan. Once in France I didn't get charged anything as it used my allowance.
Has anyone else had this or does anyone know why this would be the case?
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 7 August 2018, 13:27

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @vinolent,

Sounds like you will have connected to a Ferry Network during your travel.

This network isn't included in the EU Roaming which is why you were charged out of plan usage.

There would usually be signs on the Ferry advising of the charges for accessing their network.

It's best to keep Roaming completely off until you're in the inclusive destination for Roaming to avoid any unwanted charges.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Thanks Mohammed

Useful to know even if a bit late. I've made the same journey many times over the last few years with O2 and never experienced any charges. I've only just moved to ID so I guess I'll have to remember to switch off my roaming whilst travelling if I stay with the network. Annoying.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Sorry for any disappointment there @vinolent

This would normally happen with all networks when in international waters etc.

It could have possibly been that in previous times you had luckily connected to a network mast close to the shore. Unless O2 had any sort of affiliation with the Ferry operator to which you got inclusive service there as part of your previous package.

Kevin
Just been Charged £8.80 for data usage (Still have data left in my plan) travelling from Portsmouth UK to Caen France, on Brittany Ferries, thought it was safe travelling in the EU?? clearly not!! not happy!.

Graham C
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Just been Charged £8.80 for data usage (Still have data left in my plan) travelling from Portsmouth UK to Caen France, on Brittany Ferries, thought it was safe travelling in the EU?? clearly not!! not happy!.

Graham C

Hey @coops.77,

Sorry to hear you're unhappy about the charges incurred.

Ferry networks are not inclusive of Roaming and a charge is usually displayed on the Ferry you're using regarding this.

Mohammed
Unfortunately I did not see the small print - Brittany say it is in the leaflets handed to passengers. Would it be safe to put my phone in Airplane mode when boarding a ferry to avoid connecting with this satellite network?
Thanks Graham C
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
@coops.77 Hi Graham,

That would be perfect. If you enter airplane mode before you board then you will ensure that you will not connect to the maritime network.

Alternatively, you can turn off your data and disable data roaming so you can still have access to calls/SMS if required.

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?