Solved

Charges when using phone in Indonesia

• 29 July 2019
  • 3 replies

I'm travelling to Bali and want to avoid any surprise charges to my bill! I'm planning on using hotel free WiFi etc, but want to check charges for texting etc, in case I should want to send the occasional text. I know Indonesia is not part of the 50 destinations where one can 'roam like at home'. I also have a cap set for extra usage - will this still be active while I'm away?
icon

Best answer by Gregor 29 July 2019, 19:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Calista

Roaming in Indonesia can be very expensive. I will attach screnshot with all prices below.

You cap will be active while you are away.

Kind Regards
Thanks. So in terms of avoiding things automatically downloading/updating (apps etc), which I've heard can incur costs, what settings would I need to switch off? Should I turn off 'Data roaming' and 'Mobile data'? I get a bit confused with all the terminology in Settings!
Will I be safe enough accessing the internet using free WiFi when out and about? (Obviously not to make purchases online or anything as it wouldn't be secure.) Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
When you turn off "data roaming" and leave "mobile data" on, it won't let you use data abroad but you still can use it while in UK. When you turn off "mobile data" you won't be able to web browse even in UK unless you are connected to wifi.

Using public wifi hotspots will be the easiest and most comfortable way to avoid over spending. I do not know how much availability of free wifi you will have in Indonesia though. I could recommend you installing Opera Browser with build in VPN which you can setup to Europe, it will keep you safe enough and it is easy to setup as well.

Kind Regards

Why iD Mobile?