Question

Couldn't connect with phone or mobile data in Germany

Userlevel 1
My partner could connect without any issue in Germany with an older phone, but my phone would not connect at all following the same settings. I tried everything I found on this website and nothing worked. Could anybody advice if there is anything in particular going on with a Motorola G7 Power? I understand the OS is quite new and I'm wondering if there's anything different that needs to be done for this phone.
Thanks.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @iraira,

Could you give us a bit more information on the issue here?

Is it all services you're unable to use, so calls, texts & Data?
Or is it just Data services you can't use?

When you say

My partner could connect without any issue in Germany with an older phone

Are you using the same SIM card here or that he's also got his own iD SIM he's using?

Have you tried reading the following topic here:
https://community.idmobile.co.uk/international-roaming-48/how-to-prepare-your-phone-for-a-trip-abroad-182

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
I couldn't use calls, texts or data. All services were unavailable.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi iraira, you can connect to "Telekom" or "O2" whilst in Germany to use the service on our network.

This would normally happen automatically but sometimes, it's best to turn your phone off for a few minutes before restarting.
If no network connection is picked up, your phone can manually search in network selection options in the settings.

If you were connected to a network but unable to use services, it would be worth confirming you are connected one of our partner networks and also that roaming is enabled on your account. This can be checked using our app or http://my.idmobile.co.uk.

Phil
Userlevel 1
Thank you for your message.
I can confirm that the local network was picked up automatically by my phone and I received the welcome message.
I checked that roaming was on. I also restarted my phone as it was suggested on this forum. I checked the settings against the website and my partner's phone as his was working. All seemed fine.

The only thing I've noticed different is that my phone's OS has 2 options for mobile data. One that was the same as an older phone version (mobile data on/off) and the other one was called roaming data. I tried switching both on, one on and the other one off, then the other way around. None of these options worked. Anyway, this wouldn't explain why I couldn't make calls either.

OS is Android v9. Maybe there is a different set up needed for this type?

Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Do you have any settings in your phone that relate to a previous network you had been on? Like any user profiles or such?

Sometimes your phone will default to these settings which would be wildly different to the ones we'd need you to be using in order to connect successfully with us.

Do you have any return trips to Europe coming up? We're very confident we'd be able to help you overcome the issue next time you visit, but it would always be more ideal in cases where you've tried the basics to speak to you as quickly as possible whilst you're on any Wi-Fi out there.

Ideally, if you could get in touch with us either through:

Our Live Chat Team here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/contact-us
or by contacting our Social Media Team on Facebook or Twitter
Userlevel 1
Kevin,

The phone was a week old so I don't think other network setting was on.
I'm not planning a trip to Europe yet, but thank you for sending the link. I barely had time on this trip to get to chat to the help-desk.

I did take a print screen of the settings when I was there. Please let me know if you spot something unusual.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Thanks for sharing that @iraira

We've popped a question over to one of our more experienced Tech Team folk in order to have a look at those settings you have inputted there.

We'll keep our eyes out for a reply, and update this thread here once we've heard back. This should be within 24-48 hours most I'd imagine.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi iraira, do you recall what the problem was when you tried to call or text?
Did you receive any other calls/ texts apart from the welcome message?

-Phil
Userlevel 1
Hi Phil,
Sorry, I can't remember the exact message when I tried calling.
I didn't receive any other messages or calls apart from the welcome message. Data never connected.

Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Ok, not to worry.
If you were connected ok but data did not work you could try to reset the network settings.

Sometimes the APN type can be required to be "default,supl,mms"

-Phil
Userlevel 1
Dear ID,
I currently have the same issue with a Moto G 1st Gen phone. The phone is able to call and text, and connect to WiFi but doesn't connect to mobile data. Its currently connected to O2-de networks but changing the connected network still doesn't give a data connect.

I have also received the welcome message.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hey @louis1111,

I'm sorry to hear this. Have you checked the Access Point Names (APN) settings within the mobile network settings of your phone? You will need to make sure that it shows iD Mobile settings. You can press the menu button when inside those settings to 'Reset To Default' which will help.

You can also make your own APN settings by following the information found here.

Ryan
Userlevel 1
Thankyou! Fixed by changing the APN settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thankyou! Fixed by changing the APN settings.

Hello @louis1111,

Glad to hear this and many thanks for confirming that for us 😀

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?