Solved

EU data only sim roaming allowance

• 3 August 2020
  • 2 replies

I am traying to find a data only sim deal with unlimited data for use in my caravan.  I have a router that takes a sim card, and then allows a number of devices (ie childrens phones and ipads, etc) to log on to the router and hence the internet.

Just returned from a holiday in France, and after one week I found that my unlimited data sim actually had a 25GB roaming limit out of the UK.  Not what i had expected - teach me to read the small print! - hasten to say this was with a different provider!

With the data only sim deal here, is there a limit to roaming data please?  I cannot see the answer when i click on a deal.

thank you

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 4 August 2020, 17:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Chrismetcalfe 

Do you have a link to the deal you’re looking at?

Speaking generally, if it is an unlimited data SIM.  Then you would technically get that abroad too but reviewed under a “fair usage policy”. 

So if something was deemed suspect then you may have the service capped or restricted.

A more common example of this type of thing being flagged and put into effect would be say if you went to work in Europe for 6 months (without return to the UK).  Though I believe you’d be notified beforehand if such a decision was being made.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Chrismetcalfe,

Thanks for reaching out to us here.

I’m not sure if it was yourself I replied to on Social Media, but we have (as do other networks) a Fair Usage Policy in place.

You can find this here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy

At the bottom of the page, you have 2 drop down boxes.

1 for the price and 1 for the data.

Select the relevant options to the deal you have seen, this will then confirm whether there is a usage limit in place for Roaming or not.

Another thing to note is, our SIMs require the devices to be set-up and configured to roam when abroad. 

For using in a handset, it’s as simple as turning on Roaming in the phone and making sure it’s on in the app (which is usually is via default).

Lastly, check the APN settings are correct and you are good to go.

As long as you can configure settings via the router and it’s compatible, it should work fine.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?