Solved

EU Roaming Charges in Cyprus

• 12 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

I am going to Cyprus in summer in Kyrenia, and I saw that Cyprus was on the list of countries allowed, but I am not sure if this includes Nothern Cyprus. North Cyprus is Turkish and South is Greek, so it would make sense for South Cyprus to be allowed but I am unsure about North.

Thank you
icon

Best answer by Chloe 14 June 2018, 17:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @SandraT,

I understand and thank you for your feedback. I have passed on this suggestion to our team that handles the website to ensure this is looked into and any amendments are made wherever appropriate.

Ryan
Hi @Faye G that's a great question and you're not alone in wondering this!

You're right in thinking that Southern Cyprus is included in our free EU roaming and, unfortunately, that Northern Cyprus is not. This is, as you have answered yourself, due to Northern Cyprus being part of Turkey.

You can find more information on EU roaming here on our website:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming

I hope this answers your question.

Chloé.

Hi,

I've just returned from Cyprus and found this. Actually I believe that northern Cyprus is not part of Turkey in the same way southern Cyprus is not part of Greece. Cyprus is a separate country divided into two, the north only being recognised as independent of the south by Turkey but not part of it. I checked your roaming list before leaving home and it simply says Cyprus so I subsequently incurred charges while in the north. The specific limitation to EU countries had escaped me. I did receive a text after crossing the border but didn't make the connection that the conditions had changed as I hadn't received anything on landing in south Cyprus. I received a second text on returning to the south.

I suggest for clarity that you update your list of countries for 'roam like home' to specify south Cyprus only instead of just Cyprus. Particularly as other networks do include north Cyprus and even Turkey in their 'roam like home' criteria (Vodafone).

Sandra
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi @Faye G that's a great question and you're not alone in wondering this!

You're right in thinking that Southern Cyprus is included in our free EU roaming and, unfortunately, that Northern Cyprus is not. This is, as you have answered yourself, due to Northern Cyprus being associated with Turkey.

You can find more information on EU roaming here on our website:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming

I hope this answers your question.

Chloé.

Why iD Mobile?