Solved

EU Roaming Fair Usage

• 23 November 2020
  • 1 reply

I am looking getting an iPhone 12 on contract through Carphone Warehouse with an iD unlimited sim. I work abroad in Portugal and so my time is divided between there and the UK. I’ve already done some research on this topic but I’m looking for some sort of clarity regarding the following info.

I’ve read iD’s EU Roaming Fair Usage Policy, which specifies:

“We understand that sometimes you'll want to roam for a few weeks at a time. That's absolutely fine. But if you roam more than you use your phone at home (we mean in the UK) over a 4-month period, we might think you’re permanently roaming. If so, we'll take the following action.

First of all, we'll send you a text reminding you of the fair usage policy. If you don't change your usage behaviour to comply with it, we'll also ask you to provide some sort of proof that you have strong ties to the UK, like a UK bill or bank statement.”

I can’t guarantee (especially with Covid) that I will be returning to the UK within the ‘required’ 4 month time period. I have a fixed address in the UK and a UK bank account that I use frequently, so would be more than happy to provide iD with a bank statement upon request to prove that I have “strong ties” with the UK.

Please can someone confirm as to whether, after being abroad for circa 4 months, providing iD with a bank statement will mean that I can continue to use my phone abroad as normal, until I can next get back to the UK for it to reset the 4-month-timer.

I would imagine that upon returning to Portugal, after 4 months I would have to go through the process of sending iD my bank statement again (which I’m totally fine with.) and we start the process again.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Ryan 30 November 2020, 12:43

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @cono,

If you were contacted regarding the extended use abroad then you can supply us with a bill/bank statement as the policy suggests just to confirm that you do still have ties back to the UK. 

We can also help you with this here if you do need it in the future!

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?