Solved

How does 5G work?

• 4 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
I’m studying A level physics and I know that radio waves and microwaves are used for telecommunications but what makes 5G different and faster?
icon

Best answer by happywondering 8 March 2019, 14:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Well it uses electromagnetic radtion technically, to be really pedantic, but radiowaves and microwaves are created from this, and these are on a spectrum whereby you have different frequncies. Essentially 5g will operate on a higher band frequency to 3g and 4g. 5g will use what is called millimeter waves that are able to send a lot of data at very high speeds but that doesn't travel as far as the shorter frequency waves (4g). They are still experimenting on exactly what frequency to use, and it's still in it's early days.

There is a whole bunch of information out there if you really want to look it up, like assigning the frequency bands, and the realyl technical side of how it all works. I think i'd need way more time and a short essay to explain fully though.
Userlevel 1

It has more spectrum and operates on higher frequencies, thus allowing for faster speeds.

Userlevel 3
Badge
I had to edit because radio waves are actually a type of electomagnectic raditation and I didn't want to think I was saying you were wrong, when I was just being pedantic.

Why iD Mobile?