Solved

iD & NTT Docomo

• 23 August 2019
  • 4 replies

I was using iD when I lived in the UK. I moved to Japan the day before yesterday with no plan about what to do with my phone (Samsung Galaxy J6). I didn't set up iD roaming, or pre-buy a Japanese SIM, or check out any Japanese networks, or anything.

When I was in the UK, my phone said "iD" in the top left corner. Now I'm in Japan, "iD" has been replaced and it now says "NTT Docomo" instead in the top left corner. Why is this?

Are iD and NTT Docomo affiliated? Is NTT Docomo the Japanese equivalent of iD? Have I been automatically transferred from iD to NTT Docomo without doing anything? I don't understand. Please help!
icon

Best answer by Hikari 23 August 2019, 21:46

Hey @Chazoran

First of all, I envy you moving to Japan so much 😁

Regarding your questions. NTT Docomo is showing there because ID is using their infrastructure to connect you to the network and use it under "International Roaming" . You can look at them as partners but they are not affiliated in any way. For example if you would be using your iD Mobile in Poland it would show "Plus GSM" or "MEO" in Portugal as providers have to have these partners in other countries so they can provide roaming.

Just for you to be aware, pay attention to how much you are using your ID number while in Japan as you will be charged extra for roaming usage.

Below I have attached screenshot with all the charges that you will occure.

Kind Regards
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6
Hey @Chazoran

First of all, I envy you moving to Japan so much 😁

Regarding your questions. NTT Docomo is showing there because ID is using their infrastructure to connect you to the network and use it under "International Roaming" . You can look at them as partners but they are not affiliated in any way. For example if you would be using your iD Mobile in Poland it would show "Plus GSM" or "MEO" in Portugal as providers have to have these partners in other countries so they can provide roaming.

Just for you to be aware, pay attention to how much you are using your ID number while in Japan as you will be charged extra for roaming usage.

Below I have attached screenshot with all the charges that you will occure.

Kind Regards
Userlevel 8
Badge +6
@Chazoran

As long as you stick to WiFi only, you will be fine. 🙂

Enjoy living in Japan and come back here to the Community and tell us how you getting on there 😁

Kind Regards
Thanks @Hikari! You've been so helpful, I hope you get to move to Japan too someday!

I haven't texted or called anyone and I don't plan to. However, what counts as using "Internet & Data"? I haven't been using my data at all, but I have been using the free wi-fi provided in the airports and in my dormitory. Will using wi-fi like that cost me while I stay roaming on iD with NTT Docomo?

Regards.
Thanks, @Hikari, that puts me at ease! I will do my best, thank you, and I'll definitely be back if I need more advice!

Regards. 🙂