Solved

Iphone Sim Unlock International

• 22 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Hey. I called and spoke to an advisor and asked for my iPhone X to have its sim unlocked so I could use a sim from abroad while in NZ. How long until this has been completed and how will I be informed it will have happened?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Cwillcox 25 September 2019, 01:01

Hey. So the matters been solved and ID can unlock from (presumably) another carrier. After a few days I got a text from ID saying it’s been unlocked. I tried a NZ vodaphone sim in NZ and it worked fine.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6
Hey @Cwillcox

Did you purchased your iPhone X from iD Mobile or Carphone Warehouse?

If your answer to the question above is "yes" then I am pretty sure that your phone should be already unlocked.

Have you tried using it with different SIM card? Like Vodafone or O2?

Let me know how it goes as to my knowledge iD Mobile does not lock their phones since like 2016 or so.

Kind Regards
Hi. It is a refurbished iphone so whatever carrier it was once joined to I wouldn’t know it. I tried a vodaphone NZ sim in today and it is still locked. I was assured it could be done but have heard no word from ID mobile and whilst being in NZ it’s hard to speak to someone! Please help. Thanks.
Userlevel 8
Badge +6
Hi @Cwillcox

I don't think iD Mobile is able to unlock it for you if you have bought your phone elsewhere. Did you try using different UK SIM Card in your phone? If you are able to connect to iD Mobile and O2, EE or Vodafone in UK, it means that your phone is already unlocked. Your SIM Card from NZ may not work here as may require setting up roaming. Since I cannot see what appears on your screen I am working here with assumption. When you insert you NZ SIM, does it say "SIM not supported" or just does not connect to a network?
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Hi @Cwillcox

Did the iPhone work with the iD Mobile SIM over here?

Only if the phone is locked to the iD Mobile network specifically could we potentially have it unlocked. Though I don't think I've heard of more recent iPhone's having issues like this as Apple are much more laid back now with their network locking policies these days.
Hey. So the matters been solved and ID can unlock from (presumably) another carrier. After a few days I got a text from ID saying it’s been unlocked. I tried a NZ vodaphone sim in NZ and it worked fine.