Solved

Mobile data not working [Roaming]

Userlevel 1
I’m having problems whilst in Spain with mobile data. Although it is switched on both on my phone and in the app, unless Wi-Fi is available it tells me it is disconnected. I don’t know how to make it work so any suggestions will be great fully received.
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 21 May 2018, 10:53

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi,
I've experienced a problem like this too.
In my case the APN settings weren't quite correct.
In the very long post here scroll down until you find the section marked Configuring the correct Access Point Name (APN) settings.

I hope this helps.
Userlevel 1
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have done all of the above, handset turned on to roaming, turned on in app too. I changed apn settings and it still says mobile data disconnected. I guess I’ll just have to search for free Wi-fi areas.
Userlevel 1
Hi, thank you responding. I have already checked and changed apn settings to no avail. I. Not sure what I do next though but will keep persevering. You never know, I might make it before I return home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have done all of the above, handset turned on to roaming, turned on in app too. I changed apn settings and it still says mobile data disconnected. I guess I’ll just have to search for free Wi-fi areas.

Hey @Eildon,

Where are you currently roaming?

Mohammed
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi @Eildon,

Are you having any issues with making calls/texts when abroad?

What network are you showing you're connected to?

One key thing I often advise users to try is to delete all of the current APN settings.
Then add fresh new ones with the ones outlined in the linked topic.
This can often reset you on the network and seems to work most of the time.

Have you tried manually connecting to a network?

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
We are in Spain, just outside Denia. But I had the same problem in Lisbon too.
Userlevel 1
Hi Mohammed, thank you for your help. For some reason (and I have no idea how) it has started working today. I followed the instructions to change apn settings for a second time and it is working, maybe I had a missing dot before, although I’m pretty sure I copied it exactly.
Again, thanks.
Eildon
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @Eildon,

I'm glad to hear this is now working!

Data Roaming issues are almost always down to incorrectly configured settings.

I hope you have a great time for however long is left on your holiday!

Mohammed

EDIT: I've moved a few of your posts made on another topic into this topic as they're both relating to the same issue. This avoids multiple conversations being started revolving the same issue.

I've also renamed the topic for clarity.
Ive recently returned from Tenerife and kept getting no service. Each time I turned phone on and off again had service for a while but lost it again but WiFi was ok. Followed suggested tips and noticed after taking out and reinserting sim card WiFi was stronger. I had needed to take phone cover off to do sim card and left it off after that and never lost service again all holiday.
Not sure if this will help anyone else
Userlevel 1
In short -reseting the APN's worked for me.

Longer - Been in Majorca for 2 days now and when we landed I got a text message from ID stating that fair use was in operations and I could use my phone just like I would at home in the UK. I thought brill but it suddenly became apparent it wasn't as easy as that. 2 days went by of me just using WiFi when either at the hotel or near a bar.

I've just finally sat down and googled the problem using the hotel WiFi.

I made sure I had data roaming on Both my phone OS and within the app. I put both data roaming and international roaming on.

Then I read this thread and saw that trying to reset the APN's may work - and it did!

Tom
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
In short -reseting the APN's worked for me.

Longer - Been in Majorca for 2 days now and when we landed I got a text message from ID stating that fair use was in operations and I could use my phone just like I would at home in the UK. I thought brill but it suddenly became apparent it wasn't as easy as that. 2 days went by of me just using WiFi when either at the hotel or near a bar.

I've just finally sat down and googled the problem using the hotel WiFi.

I made sure I had data roaming on Both my phone OS and within the app. I put both data roaming and international roaming on.

Then I read this thread and saw that trying to reset the APN's may work - and it did!

Tom

Hey @Tommmyhill,
Glad to hear that worked for you!

Can be a real pain when you get abroad and wanting to enjoy that holiday to find you're having to sort out a problem anyway!

Glad you managed to find this topic though :)

hope you have a great time!

Mohammed
Hi Mohammed

I had the same problem on a trip to Spain last week. I found this thread but couldn't work out how to reset the APN settings on my phone - iPhone 6S. The Settings / Mobile Data / Mobile Data Options screen doesn't have anything on it other than Enable 4G and the option to turn Data Roaming off.

I'm back home now so all working again but any advice as to how to avoid this happening again next year?

Thanks
Martin
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hello @MartinDunn37,

Some iPhones don't seem to have access to the APN settings.
Try going to Settings > General > Profiles

Do you see any profiles here? If so, please delete them and this should fix the issue.

Mohammed

Hi again

Sorry to resurrect this but it is now a year on, we are back abroad, in France, and having the same problem - just not connecting to mobile data.

WiFi works fine

This is an IPhone 6 running ios 13.6 so we are unable to get any APN settings

There is no Profile option in Settings-General

Can you please offer any advice to get data working?

Martin

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @MartinDunn37,

We should be able to get this sorted.

Are you able to add a profile?

If so you can find your settings at the lin below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-your-settings

Once you add the APN everything should work for you as normal.

Kash

I can’t see a way of adding a profile on this model of iPhone - the options aren’t obvious. Where might they be? As I said, there is no option for Profiles under Settings-General

As far as the settings go, when I input the number / model I get this page:

I can’t see where to add the APN from here

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @MartinDunn37 , have you tried removing the SIM card from the handset and powering it down for 10 minutes? This can sometimes help solve the issue.

Will

Why iD Mobile?