Solved

Receiving SMS on holiday in USA

• 29 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi

Just wanted to check that when I am on hols in America, I will still be able to receive texts sent from the UK to my normal number, AND be able to reply directly to them (without having to remove the 0 and add +44).

My bank said I should check this as when I use my credit card abroad, they may text to ensure that the transaction is valid. I would be expected to reply to the text to confirm, and prevent my credit card from being temporarily blocked.

My data roaming will be turned off (no affect on SMS I assume) and other than any text from my bank,  I don’t plan on using the phone other than when I’m connected to free WiFi.

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 2 December 2019, 13:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @H22A,

So when you’re roaming in USA, usage is not included in your allowances, thus a charge would be applicable (unless you’re on the legacy Takeaway plan that was offered a few years ago).

Usage would be charged at the following rates:

Receiving texts is free so there’s no charge for this.

Sending texts however are £0.42 per SMS if it’s a regular UK number (which I believe it should be, but best to check with your bank to see if there are any additional charges for texting them).

Therefore, you’ll need to increase your spend cap to allow such spend.

You’ll also need to turn ON Roaming in the iD app/account to ensure you can receive services when abroad.

You can certainly keep Data Roaming OFF which will prevent you using any data when roaming either.

It’s worth noting that receiving calls are £1.50 per minute, so whilst Roaming is enabled, you would be charged for this.

You can leave the phone in flight mode until you’re about to make a purchase if you’d like.

When you reach the cap, all out of plan usage will be prevented until the cap is lifted.

Use the +44 dialling code on any calls or texts when roaming.

You can edit the number/contact if it’s one you have already saved.

But usually, if you receive a text from a number, it’s configured as +44 by default.

Hope this helps.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

That’s great, thanks for the detailed reply Mohammed - any further questions I think I was going to have will have been answered too!

Many thanks

Paul

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That’s great, thanks for the detailed reply Mohammed - any further questions I think I was going to have will have been answered too!

Many thanks

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Glad I was able to answer even any future questions you may have had!

Give us a shout if you need anything further.

:grinning:

Mohammed

To confirm am I correctly understanding that if a bank sends me a 'one-time-use-code' by SMS to my IDmobile number (which has international turned on at the time), and I'm in Argentina or Brazil, I'll receive the sms AT NO EXTRA CHARGE?

Thx for any help to clarify this important point in advance!. I can't risk traveling with IDMobile as my banking registered mobile number unless this works as I'll be pretty stuck if it doesn't work!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

To confirm am I correctly understanding that if a bank sends me a 'one-time-use-code' by SMS to my IDmobile number (which has international turned on at the time), and I'm in Argentina or Brazil, I'll receive the sms AT NO EXTRA CHARGE?

Thx for any help to clarify this important point in advance!. I can't risk traveling with IDMobile as my banking registered mobile number unless this works as I'll be pretty stuck if it doesn't work!

Firstly @Arlidge, if you’re in a South American country and using your iD mobile number, you’ll be considered to be ROAMING.

Secondly, there will be a ROAMING charge for receiving an SMS from the UK to your iD mobile number while roaming in Argentina or Brazil.

Finally, you won’t receive any text messages if:- 

• ROAMING is turned OFF in your iD account.
  • Your bill cap is not high enough to cover the cost of receiving an SMS from the UK while roaming in South America.

Anyway, good luck.

Thx for explaining that @andewhite I shall have to read the Roaming rules again as that wasn't the answer I was expecting!

Che

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Arlidge, you can use your iD plan’s allowances to roam like at home in the following 50 destinations across Europe and beyond:

Band 1 Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Réunion, Romania, Saint Barthélemy, Saint-Martin, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Vatican City.

Band 2 Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus, Kazakhstan.

Otherwise, roaming charges apply.
For roaming charges in Argentina and Brazil, see the iD Mobile online help & support page at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/international-and-roaming-charges.

Why iD Mobile?