Solved

Roaming in Canaries 3 weeks

• 9 December 2019
  • 5 replies

I am going to Tenerife for 3 weeks next week. i have checked the fair usage policy znd it would seem i could use an unlimited plan for that time and not have a cap set, is this right

"We understand that sometimes you'll want to roam for a few weeks at a time. That's absolutely fine. But if you roam more than you use your phone at home (we mean in the UK) over a 4-month period, we might think you’re permanently roaming. If so, we'll take the following action:

Thanks 

Sharon

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 10 December 2019, 13:41

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @cookywales,

That’s not correct, sorry for any misunderstandings.

Tenerife (Spain) is one of our inclusive roaming destinations so you can use your allowances like you’re at home, at no extra cost.

There’s an open data policy applicable to some plans which caps how much data can be used abroad (simply go to https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/eu-roaming/fair-usage-policy and scroll down to Open data policy and select the relevant options)

Not all plans have this policy but it’s best to check.

For example, the £9.00 4GB plan has a 2.3GB open data policy cap so the first 2.3GB of allowances is inclusive, after that there’s a small charge applicable.

If you had no open data usage policy applicable to your plan, then you can use all of your allowances abroad at no cost.

So if you were on the £15.00 per month for 20GB plan, then this does not apply.

Therefore you can use up all 20GB at no extra cost.

Once you’ve used up your allowances though, then you will be charged for additional out of plan usage at the roaming rates.

Mohammed

I currently have an ID plan so dont need a new sim - so if i were to go up to the following plan below - upgrade would I be capped?

Current plan

4G per month @ 8.00 Texts: Unlimited Minutes: 500 Monthly cost: £8.00

Want to go to Data: Unlimited Data Texts: Unlimited Texts Minutes: Unlimited Min Monthly cost: £25.00

But then maybe change again to old tariff in Jan - Would this then be under the fair usage

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @cookywales 

That would work exactly the same as the other plan you had discussed with Mohammed in regards to its fair usage. 

Sorry maybe me being thick but can I just get a clear answer - i have purchased the 

Unlimited mins, Unlimited texts , UNLIMITED data for £25.00

The fair use policy states:

Fair usage policy.

Our fair usage policy has been designed to prevent misuse of our inclusive EU roaming feature, such as someone permanently roaming and not living in the UK.

We understand that sometimes you'll want to roam for a few weeks at a time. That's absolutely fine. But if you roam more than you use your phone at home (we mean in the UK) over a 4-month period, we might think you’re permanently roaming. 

Then when I check the plan I am on :

What is your standard monthly plan cost?
                                 £25.00                                 

What is your standard monthly data allowance?
                       Mine's not listed here                             

The open data policy does not apply.

The open data policy does not apply to your plan. You can use your monthly data to roam in our EU inclusive countries just like you do at home. For more information on where you can roam, take a look at our inclusive EU roaming webpage.

So does this mean I can use my unlimited data as much as I like in tenerife ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @cookywales,

Yes, according to the information you have found there, your plan is not listed so it should be fine as long as you are only roaming for 3 weeks and no longer than 4 months in one go. :)

Why iD Mobile?