Solved

Switzerland, cap used up in a few minutes.

• 11 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

On arrival at Geneva Airport I turned my phone off flight mode. A few minutes later I received a text message to say 80% of my cap has been used. 

A minute later a text came to say I had used 100 %

I wasn't actually using the phone.

I understand that Switzerland is not included in Roaming but can anyone explain why my cap can be used up so quickly even though I wasn't using the phone. 

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Ryan 11 September 2020, 16:14

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Mib,

Unfortunately as phones tend to use data in the background to update and synchronise, some data may have been used as soon as flight mode was turned off, especially if it was off for some time as the apps will have been due to search for any notifications etc.

We would always recommend ensuring that Data Roaming is disabled before travel to eliminate something like this from happening. 

Ryan 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your reply. 

You say Data Roaming is NOT disabled. I am going again soon would it not be better to to disable it? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Mib,

I spotted my mistake and edited it just as you posted your message, apologies! Please ensure it is disabled before travel to a non-EU country.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Thanks

Hopefully other people will see this. It was something I was certainly unaware of. 

Why iD Mobile?