Question

Travelling in Asia but can't receive texts in Singapore & Malaysia

• 9 July 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I’m currently travelling around Asia. When I was in both Singapore and Malaysia I could receive text messages. But in both South Korea and now Taiwan I cannot. Is there anyway I can receive texts? My bank and credit card company send me texts sometimes to verify that it is me using my card online and without access it is quite difficult.

thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Travelling Man,

That's odd.

As long as Roaming is enabled in the iD Account and you're connected to a network, you should be able to receive texts.

We do support Roaming in Singapore & Malaysia from our website so it should be working.

Are you currently connected to a network? If so, which network?

Mohammed
I guess I must have turned Roaming off at some point. I’ve turned it back on and it says that it has been activated.

In terms of which network I am connected to; I’m not. It just says 000 emergency calls only. I had assumed that you didn’t have a partner here in Taiwan.

Mark
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Travelling Man,

For Taiwan, the Roaming network should be Chunghwa Telecom

Can you try doing a manual network selection and see if you can connect to this at all?

Mohammed
I’ve tried that and all I get is this. I’m using a dual SIM phone and I have tried my iD SIM in both slots and got the same in both cases.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Travelling Man,

Can you try removing the additional SIM and only using the iD SIM please?
Then try manually connect to a network?

I think this could be a factor here.

Mohammed
Hi,

I did as you suggested and it was able to connect to the network, eventually after I had to try messing around with these settings. However, when I then put my Taiwan card back in the phone neither of them worked. It looks like I’ll have to juggle them around depending on what I am doing, which is unsatisfactory but the only way I’ll be able to do anything and not get charged a fortune.

Why iD Mobile?