Solved

Unconditional call forwarding (divert) when phone is in roaming

• 25 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello. I will be travelling to the United Arab Emirates with my ID mobile phone. Prior to leaving the UK, I want to unconditionally divert/forward all calls to my spouse at our UK home landline number (which will remain in the UK).

However, I want to keep the SIM active for incoming SMS (bank OTP codes, emergency use, etc) while in roaming at UAE.

If I set up unconditional forwarding/divert to a UK number, will those minutes be taken from my UK allowances, or will I incur roaming charges if my SIM is on abroad when the call is diverted? (£6.00 /min :drooling_face: roaming charges for UAE).

Many thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 28 October 2019, 15:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Thank you Mohammed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @ariskar,

I’ve double-checked this with a colleague and would like to correct myself.

Setting up Call Forwarding to a UK number will mean that all calls are forwarded to that number and come out of your inclusive allowances.

If you have remaining minutes, then calls to UK numbers will be inclusive of that. After all minutes have been used, you’ll incur an out of plan charge per minute for any call forwarding.

Call forwarding should work even with the device/SIM switched off/removed as long as it’s registered the change on the network end.

When abroad, call forwarding will divert before the call reaches the handset and therefore, no roaming charges would be incurred. (As long as you’re forwarding the call to a UK/inclusive  number).

Set up call forwarding when in the UK, then set a £0.00 spend cap and turn OFF Data Roaming in the device settings. Make sure Roaming is turned ON in the iD app/account.

You will then be able to visit abroad and receive texts for free (as there is no charge for receiving texts) and successfully divert calls to the UK number without incurring any charge.

Hope that clarifies this!

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thank you Mohammed. What if I have unconditional forwarding set in the UK to a UK number for all calls and keep the phone/SIM offline and only switch it on when I need to receive SMS or make emergency call in roaming? Will call forwarding/diverting work with the SIM offline within my UK allowances without roaming charges?

Thanks,

ariskar

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello. I will be travelling to the United Arab Emirates with my ID mobile phone. Prior to leaving the UK, I want to unconditionally divert/forward all calls to my spouse at our UK home landline number (which will remain in the UK).

However, I want to keep the SIM active for incoming SMS (bank OTP codes, emergency use, etc) while in roaming at UAE.

If I set up unconditional forwarding/divert to a UK number, will those minutes be taken from my UK allowances, or will I incur roaming charges if my SIM is on abroad when the call is diverted? (£6.00 /min :drooling_face: roaming charges for UAE).

Many thanks.

Hello@ariskar

Incorrect:

You’d incur charges as your allowances are used during Call Forwarding as the SIM is in a non-inclusive destination.

If you’ve got a cap applied to prevent any out of plan spend, then you’d simply be unable to complete the call forwarding request.

Hope that clarifies, but give us a shout if you need any help.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?