Solved

use of data allowance in France

Hi I’m in France (Alps)and can’t use my phone without having to pay for add ons despite having over 8gb of data left in my monthly contract. I have turned on data roaming on both my iphone11 and on the iD app. Why isn’t my allowance being used?

icon

Best answer by ChrisMM 12 August 2020, 21:18

View original

13 replies

Not having a great experience with ID Mobile support... Since posting this yesterday, I used ID's Live Chat to try to get the data roaming problem sorted. I gave them access to take over my account and I was told that Data Roaming hadn't been enabled (which is odd, because when I had accessed my account earlier it said it was). They enabled it for me and said it would take an hour for the changes to be active, but since then nothing has changed and I am continuing to have to pay for data here in France. It's so aggravating that ID mobile haven't fixed this for me and is overshadowing my holiday. Can anyone help?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @ChrisMM 

If you’re connecting to French networks, then this should be fine.  Orange or Bytel would be the options that should work out there.

If French networks aren’t covering that part of the Alps.  Then that would mean you’d potentially be covered by a Swiss network, which wouldn’t be a country in the inclusive roaming, so that would be chargeable if you’re connecting to networks outside of France.

What networks show as available where you are?

Hi @Kevin, thanks for your advice! I'm  connected to F-Bouygues and also have options to select F SFR, Free and Orange, so don't think it's connecting to a Swiss network. Your colleague also advised that I could try updating the info in my APN settings, but I have an iPhone 11 so this isn't an option. Any other ideas?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @ChrisMM,

Just going back to a previous point, if add-on data is working then we would expect your allowance to be working as well because it would use the same connection/settings.

On your phone, please can you go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings? This will force the phone to download new ones from the network. Another thing to look out for is “Profiles” within your settings, these should ideally be blank or at least not show profiles installed from other networks.

Ryan

Hi @Ryan, no luck with that unfortunately. I reset as instructed and turned data roaming back on, but it hasn't made a difference. I can't see anything called 'Profiles' in my iPhone settings. The only thing that I can find which might be the issues is under Settings > Mobile Data > Network Provider Services, it says Mail, followed by a mobile number that I don't recognize. Could this be the issue? ID Mobile ported my old number when I bought my iPhone 11 from you so im wondering if your network isn't recognising my number or something. 

Getting very frustrating now; I was so pleased to join your network knowing that I would be able to roam abroad, but instead I'm just wasting money and time without any idea how to solve this problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @ChrisMM,

Can you just confirm, have you been able to access data whilst abroad and then it’s suddenly stopped?

Or you haven’t been able to use any data at all since arriving?

If it’s the former, what’s your current plan minutes, texts, data and how much do you pay each month for this?

Mohammed

Thanks - when we first arrived I was able to use data but this came straight from an add on (I had a cap of £5 which I then increased to £10). I used all of this up in the two days. Today to try to get some data again I increased the cap to £15 but my data has stopped working altogether. From the start here I had over 8gb of data on my account  - I get 5gb each month and the rest was rolled over from the first month that I had the phone (ie July). I pay around £32 per month. I can now only access WiFi through a hot spot from another phone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Thanks @ChrisMM,

Have you had any messages from us about allowances at all?

Will

Thanks Will. I have received no messages at all in France from iDmobile. However when we went to drop a friend off at Geneva airport (Switzerland) today my phone suddenly downloaded a few emails but then stopped working again. Whilst still in Switzerland, I later I received a message telling me I was roaming outside of the EU. I am aware that my data allowance does not cover me in Switzerland. I am now back In France and the situation remains as before - I can send texts and make calls but can’t use Whatsapp or email without wifi.

Sorry Will. I have just checked my text massages and see I did receive a message from iDmobile on Wednesday 5th August - the day I arrived in France - telling me I can use my allowance as I would at home - which sadly I haven’t been able to.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @ChrisMM 

If it’s still showing, can you manually connect to “Orange” whilst you’re in France, and let us know if that changes anything?

Have you been able to text or call whilst in France?

Could we also get the town of where you’re staying presently?

I am on Orange F - sadly it doesn’t make any difference. My husband through EE is using Orange and has no problem with his data. I can text and call in France. We are near the town of Chatel in the Haute Savoie region of France.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @ChrisMM,

We’re going to need to look into this a little further by checking the account as we can’t understand what would be causing this. Even more oddly enough that you could access the service via the spend cap and then stopped.

I’ll get someone to PM you to look into this further.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?