Question

Any good battery saving tips?

Userlevel 1
Having trouble with my iPhone 6s, where I can no longer get the battery to last a a full day, and sometimes switches off at around 10%.

I've had the phone for quite a few years now, so wanted to know if there was anything i could do to improve the battery life? Or any tricks to just stop it running out so quickly?

Thanks!

27 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Edward1

I could recommend you to switch of 4G signal and keep it on 3G, I could recommend to keep your brightness low, to remember to remove apps working in background but I don't the point in owning a smartphone is reducing its capabilities to perform in order to preserve battery life, therefore I have different suggestion here:

If you are running on newest iOS you can check your battery heath in the settings of your devices. It should be under Settings -> Battery -> Battery Health also you can check that using an app design for MacBooks if you own one called "Coconut Battery".

If your battery health will be lower than expected I could recommend you to pop in to your local Carphone Warehouse store and you could have it replaced for a price of £29.99 You can have look at this page here for more details.

Regards
Userlevel 1
Sometimes worth doing a self audit on the apps you don't use, we download so many and a lot of them will run in the background and start draining your battery or slowing your phone down.

Sometimes its worth backing up and starting again with a factory reset and see if that helps

Also look at your charging habit. Many of us are guilty of leaving our phones on charge overnight and its unnecessary and potentially damaging to cells in your battery
If you have any unused apps on your phone, delete them fully via your app store. My daughter has the same problem and when I deleted all her apps that she'd downloaded and then got rid of on her home screen but not the app store, it worked perfectly and her battery life is better. They still run regardless of if you use them or not
I had the same issue with my iPhone 6s. After putting up with it for ages, I took it to iSmash where they told me it needed a new board and battery which would cost £130 and it would need to be sent off for 2 weeks!! So I went to the Apple store and paid £25 for a new battery instead and now my phone works perfectly and the battery is as good as it was when I first bought the phone.
Userlevel 1
Go into your settings and audit performance across the piece. Also worth minimising usage at bedtime, put into power saving mode
Try to disable locations services and reduce the brightness as possible when you are indoor
Userlevel 3
Badge
Over time a battery will lose it's ability to hold a full charge due to how the li-ion batteries work. You can do what is said above (looking at apps that use battery, putting in power save mode, turn off bluetooth/location/wi-fi/4g when not using *though a good battery saving app should do this anyhow). I think the best thing would be for you to get a new battery for it - Hikari has given you useful information on how to do this above :)

Facebook messenger uses a lot, so does facebook, so if you don't need them, get rid of them.
I tend to use my phone extensively at home, but also when out and about. Battery life is greatly reduced if you have any of the following features turned on:-

Bluetooth (used to connect to my cars system to allow hands free phone in the car) if you forget to turn this off, when you exit the car, then the polling the system repeatedly does eats battery life. Turn it off once you exit the car.

I use WIFI when in the house for my phone. This saves data which I can then use when out and about. WIFI also polls repeatedly and will also eat battery life. Make sure you turn this off too when you are out and about.

However the biggest use of battery power is the screen and the processor. If you sit and play games, your battery life can almost be measured in minutes ..... I simply do not play games when out and about. I can get my battery to last 2-3 days easily, including making several calls.

I also have one particular app that eats battery power also. It is an off line satnav app. If I forget and leave this on when I exit the car, then this will eat battery life also.

I hope my experience provides some help. It is all obvious, but easily overlooked.
Not sure if it's applies to iPhone but I switch to battery saving mode on android which only uses certain apps and features which prolongs battery life, also recommend switching off WiFi and roaming to prolong life of battery when not using Internet. Hope this is some help
Userlevel 3
You must use low power mode most of the time and keep a low brightness that is below 25%. Do not use your phone consistently on heavy use, take a break and charge your phone. It would be better if you got a charger with more power such as an iPad charger.
Userlevel 1
Additionally, keep the phone warn, or. body temperature. Batteries run down faster when cold . Check email not set to receive check too frequently. Lock phone when not in direct use Set app or system updates off automatic
Userlevel 1
I don't have that problem with my current phone but that may be because I did with the previous one and learnt "good practise" to get the best from the battery - as others have written above, minimising use of power hungry apps, not letting it get too cold when out on the hills etc. An app that identifies which processes take the most power is useful.
I used to have a phone with swappable batteries so I could carry a spare, that feature is rare these days. A friend takes an external rechargeable USB power pack on long hikes because the GPS seems to drain the battery fast but, better still, I found a USB power pack that holds 4xAA batteries so I can easily get more if the need arises.
Userlevel 3
Having trouble with my iPhone 6s, where I can no longer get the battery to last a a full day, and sometimes switches off at around 10%.

I've had the phone for quite a few years now, so wanted to know if there was anything i could do to improve the battery life? Or any tricks to just stop it running out so quickly?

Thanks!

Hi, had the same issue when I had an IPhone. Those phones are terrible for battery especially if it has been a few years use of the phone.

To fix this either:

+Turn it off and on again to refresh the RAM
+Restore the phone so it has nothing on which can intervene
+Buy a new phone if you like battery don't chose iPhone.
Hi
turn the brightness on your phone down, make sure you haven’t got too many apps open at once. Go into your settings and check the battery performance and it will tell you what is using the most battery.
you may also have option to turn on battery saving mode.
i hope that helps

Thanks!

Always have ur phone on low brightness it makes such a big difference
As well as the good advice above, it's worth checking your 'standby' time before the phone switches off it's screen/apps etc. when not in use. If you lower the time it stays on automatically, the battery will last longer 🙂
Userlevel 5
I would recommend turning screen brightness down and using built in power saver to save battery i hope I've been a hero and helped out anyone and have a good week
I find that turning off Bluetooth when not needed has a big effect on the battery.
Userlevel 5
I'll be sure to use that tip in the future
Don’t let your phone get too hot or cold!
Userlevel 2
Not sure about iPhones but usually you can see which apps are using how much battery by going into the settings and battery section. This may help identify where the problem is. Also in the settings under apps you will usually get a list of all the apps currently running, and can choose to disable them if they are not needed all of the time.
Userlevel 1
Swipe away any apps running in the background that you're not using, these can drain your battery without you knowing.
Userlevel 1
Not sure how old your phone is but it's quite normal by now for smartphones to have to be charged by the end of the day. However, the obvious tips are to turn on Bluetooth, Mobile Data, Wifi as and when you need them. Automatic brightness as the screen is one of the biggest battery drainers. Unused apps or background apps, especially with push notifications should be tackled too (ie. maybe don't set your Mail app to send you notifications of every single email coming through). Little things like that can improve the situation but the reality is, most of us charge our phones by the end of the day. Unless you want that brick from Energiser that lasts 50 days! 😃
Userlevel 1

Thanks!

Try clearing all the background data on your apps e.g. the Cache's and make sure they are not running in the background when you're not using them!
Phones these days have MANY MANY background synchronisation services running - I usually find that these REALLY drain the battery. Think email, auto-updating web pages, social media apps, cloud storage like Google Drive or One Drive, photo syncing, news sites etc.

Turning these off (or at least the ones you really do not need to keep in sync on a second-by-second basis) can really save you a lot of battery.

Why iD Mobile?