Question

Cannot receive text, no option to edit APN on iOS 12

Hi,
I’ve recently upgraded my phone (and moved to new sim card) and now am not receiving any text messages. All messages are showing up on linked iOS devices but not my new handset.

I believe I need to edit my APN settings to get this to work however currently APN isn’t available . When I go into mobile networks I’m go to options APN just simply isn’t there, my only two options or data roaming and 4G.

I’ve been through the ID mobile settings checker and it tells me it cannot automatically send me the settings for my phone and the only option available to me is to do this manually but I can’t do this manually as I don’t have the option.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @littlegoodson,

Have you moved from iOS to a non-iOS device? It shouldn't be something to do with APN settings.

If so, this will be due to the iMessage feature which was used on the iOS device, and the phone number will need to be deregistered.

Here is a great article which will help you get this sorted: Deregistering iMessage.

Ryan
Hi Ryan and thanks for the reply.

No, still on iPhone (just upgraded from 6+ to XR). I seem to be able to send and receive regular texts now but I cannot send MMS messages to anyone on a non-apple device - I just get a 'not delivered' warning.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @littlegoodson,

Ah I see, no worries. You can try this instead as it has worked for some users in the past:

1) Try turning off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2) Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3) Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct.
4) If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5) Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6) Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”.

Let me know how you get on.

Ryan
No luck I'm afraid. I went through all those steps, and my number is correct in Settings.

I also checked that MMS is turned on (as I'm trying to send pictures to a non-apple device) but fails every time.

Could this be an issue with my plan/account rather than device?
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @littlegoodson,

It seems a little odd that the messages appear on other iOS devices which makes it seem like it could be device related. Please visit Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings and give that a go, this just refreshes any network settings that the phone has saved.

And as a final test if that doesn't work, please visit your settings and then go to General; do you see 'Profiles' anywhere in there? If so, can you delete any that show?

I think contacting Apple Support might be the best for the next step of troubleshooting, given that it seems like an iOS issue, if the above doesn't work.

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?