Great apps for making video calls on your iPhone

• 9 April 2020
  • 0 replies
Great apps for making video calls on your iPhone
Userlevel 8
Badge

The best way to stay in touch with family and friends right now is through a video call. There are lots of video calling apps to choose from, so we’ve put together a list of some great apps for you to try-out if you haven’t done so already!

As always, when using apps for things like video calls, always ensure you are staying on top of your data usage through the iD Mobile App or through My Account on the iD Mobile website. Or by connecting your device to WiFi, ensuring the Wi-Fi symbol is displayed in your notification bar.

FaceTime

What is it?

FaceTime is Apple’s own video calling service for users of its iPhones, iPads and Mac computers and is really simple, fun and intuitive to use. It comes pre-installed on all Apple devices so there’s no need to wait for it to download.

Key Features

• High quality video calling
  • Easy to use
  • Can support group calls with upto 32 people
  • Add a effects with Apple’s Animoji feature and put text or filters on the screen

Where can I find it?

The FaceTime app should come pre-installed on every iPhone, but in the event that you’ve deleted it, re-installing it is super easy. Here’s how:

1. Click on the App Store 
2. Search for FaceTime (it’s the green icon with a white video camera icon) 
3. Click GET
4. Confirm the free download 

And then you should have the FaceTime app back on your iPhone’s home screen. 

How do I get started?

• Open the FaceTime App
  • Search for a contact
  • Press ‘Video’

Want to FaceTime more than just one person? When typing in contacts, just add a couple more. Then follow the exact same instructions as before. 

You’ll only be able to FaceTime other iPhone users, but don’t worry we’ve got some great other great apps that you can video call friends and family with no matter what smartphone they have, below.

You can find out more about FaceTime and how to us it here.

WhatsApp

What is it?

WhatsApp has become the go to app when it comes to messaging services, with over 86 million users on Android alone. And, for good reason – it’s really easy to use and you can share all sorts with friends and family, pictures, videos and even files.

Key features
· Uses your Wi-Fi or phone’s internet connection, so no call or message charges
· Set up group chats so you can easily stay in contact with people
· More secure than other apps, with full end-to-end encryption

Where can I find it?

Available for download through the App Store on iOS

How do I get started?

• Agree to WhatsApp’s Terms of Service
  • Select your country and type in your phone number
  • Add your name and pick a profile picture (smart, silly, or whatever shouts ‘You’) and you’re done.

Starting a video call is simple too, just open the contact you want to call and tap on the ‘video camera’ icon at the top of the screen.

As long as you’ve got a good internet connection, video quality is generally very good, with sound also coming through loud and clear.

What is it?

Skype is another household name, but this time more for video calling. It’s been around for years now, and it’s a firm favourite for many. It’s a great app for when you need to communicate with people using different platforms too.

Key features
· Make video calls with anyone, whether they’re on PC, Mac, iPhone or Android
· Group video calls with up to 25 people
· Syncs with your phone’s SMS messages so you can view everything in one place.

Where can I find it?

Available for download through the App Store

How do I get started?

• Create an account with your email address
  • Add your name and again, pick a pic
  • Agree to terms of service and you’re done

When your account is set up, actually making the video calls is easy. Just go to the “chat” section, pick a contact, then tap the video camera icon at the top of the screen.

There’s plenty more apps out there that you can use, have you got one that you’d like to recommend to our users? If so, let us know in the replies below.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!

Why iD Mobile?