Solved

How to Unlock old iPhone?

• 5 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I have acquired an old iPhone 6 that I believe is locked to ID Mobile network, and I would like to get it unlocked. I tried several sims from other networks and it says they are not compatible.

I tried asking the live chat, but it seems automated and didn’t understand the question no matter how I worded it, and just kept telling me to contact the network about it??

Does anyone know how to go about it? Sorry to ask this same question as others have, but the ID Mobile site gives no clues.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Will 5 November 2020, 20:02

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Banwer,

We used to lock them, but don’t anymore. that’s why the website probably won’t mention it much, although I’m pretty sure it’s on there somewhere.

Do you know the previous owner of the iPhone? If they’re able to contact us, we can remove that lock for them.

Will

Thanks Will. No I don’t know the previous owner.

I have the IMEI number which I thought was all that was needed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Banwer,

We require the person who purchased it from us to be able to unlock it I’m afraid.

Will

Another perfectly good working phone gets added to the eWaste mountain… :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Banwer,

You can register an iD SIM into the device and use for 6-months in the phone and we’d be able to unlock this also.

Mohammed

Hello @Mohammed 

That just sounds like paying a fee to get it unlocked? Can’t I just pay a fee now and have it done directly?

Banwer

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Banwer,

As you are not the original owner we can’t help further at this point and it would be best if you contact the original owner to get in touch.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Ryan

Ok, thanks anyway.

Out of curiosity, why is that?

If the phone was still under finance, I could understand a request being rejected, but as far as know, locking to a network is not a security feature, and if the phone was a bit newer it wouldn’t have been locked anyway?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Banwer,

The unlocking of a handset would be deemed as an account specific action. The account holder connected to that device would need to contact us.

Will

Why iD Mobile?