Question

iOS 14.3 Wifi Calling iPhone X

• 11 January 2021
  • 3 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi,

I switched to iD last week from EE, but WiFi calling has only worked sporadically. It was fine this morning, then I went out to get some shopping and now it steadfastly refuses to turn on.

I have reset network settings, tried toggling WiFi calling in Settings, but to no avail.  I’ve even got airplane on, with WiFi on so I would expect it to connect but nothing happens.  WiFi is working fine all round the house.

Why is WiFi calling so hit and miss?  I could understand if it didn’t work, but it’ll just stop working randomnly.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @iamnotme,

WiFI calling may only come into play whenever the phone drops below a certain level of signal so it’s strange that it doesn’t come on when you put your phone into airplane mode. Another aspect that affects WiFi calling is the available bandwidth on the WiFi network, at time it may not be able to utilise the network for the service.

Do you, or anyone that you may live with, have a compatible, unlocked phone to try with your SIM card to see if this happens again?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

It’s not just at home though, I was at a customers premises yesterday, who are a big tech distribution company and WiFi calling wouldn’t work there,I had to resort to spending money on Skype credit.

How much bandwidth does WiFi calling need, I can’t imagine it’s that much.  Also when I got home last night it dropped straight into WiFi calling without me doing anything, and despite not working first thing, it’s suddenly started working again about half an hour ago.

Jon

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @iamnotme

I believe it’s around 2Mbps for WiFi Calling but it’ll only kick in if the coverage is very poor.

Can you test and put your phone into flight mode and turn on WiFi manually to see if this forces the WiFi Calling connection?

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?