Solved

iPhone XR

• 26 October 2018
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 1
Can anyone explain why I need a new sim card? Got my iPhone XR today. Put my sim card in but it won't pick up the network. I was previously using it in an iPhone 6. Live chat is arranging a new "special sim". Just curious as to the difference :)

Oh wow, have to wait up to a week for it too or pay £5 to collect. Good job I'm a patient person haha! 😃
icon

Best answer by Kevin 13 November 2018, 16:24

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Howdy @ravenmiss

We're sorry you've ran into some troubles there with your lovely new iPhone XR.

The iPhone XR (and XS) use a slightly different SIM than the one you'd normally find that works universally elsewhere, so we would indeed need to get a new iPhone specific SIM out to you based on what you've told us above.

We'd never normally charge you for SIM's in situations that we can't hold you at all responsible for though. Not all stores have these SIM's ready available to collect yet either, so it would likely be best for us to post one out to you (free).

Fingers crossed your replacement is with you in the early part of next week.

Kevin
Userlevel 1
Hi Kevin, thanks for that. I'm just curious as to the exact difference. Does the sim have a name other than "special sim". I'm always up for learning about new technology but my Google-fu has failed me and I can't find out what the actual difference is.

Is it limited to iPhones? Because I'm on IDMobile or another reason?

I'm sure it will be here soon. I'm not in any mad rush to use the new iPhone :)

Edit: I see now that you said "iPhone specific" so I'm going to assume it's iPhone related?
Userlevel 1
I am having the same issue. I got the new IPhone Xr today, stuck my ID Mobile SIM card in it and it wouldn’t even register I had put one in. I tried it with my old three one and it recognised it ok. I contacted support and they told me the IPhone XR needs a different SIM card so they raised a £5 credit and I went into Carphone Warehouse and got a new one. Exactly the same situation - the new sim card still won’t even register in the phone. I contacted support YET AGAIN and explained the situation. This time I was told that Carphone Warehouse don’t have any of the “Special” SIM cards and they would have to send me one in the post (even though Carphone Warehouse sell the iPhone Xr with an iD mobiles sim plan and their sales guy didn’t say anything about any problems they were having, so they must have them).

So I’m in the same boat, new phone and unable to use it while I wait for a “proper SIM”. I’ve o my just swapped to ID mobile (2 days ago) and I have to say I’m less than impressed. Should have stayed with Three.
Userlevel 1
Hi Sharra! I'm so sorry you have the same problem. I've tried to see if similar has happened elsewhere but can't find any info. I wonder if it's limited to IDMobile??

That's awful that CPW messed you around! I was told by LiveChat that I need to wait for my sim (or could have got it sent to CPW for £5) and then I had to activate it with IDMobile. I asked if this could be done via LiveChat and he said "yes please" so I assume that means once you have it you have to then "activate" it.

Seems very messy. I'm just trying to work out why this is happening because it all seems very odd to me.
Userlevel 1
Well my old Three SIM card was recognised in it and my partners EE SIM card so it seems to be isolated to ID Mobile. Maybe they use cheap shitty SIM cards or something, who knows.

Lets just hope hope our new “Special” SIM cards (whatever that even means) work ok.

Let me know how you get on or if u get any updates and I’ll do likewise.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Sharra. That's really frustrating...why haven't IDMobile been proactively warning people about this?? That's awful.

For some reason Kevin has sent this information to me privately via PM, not sure why it wasn't posted here:

"Kevin 33 minutes ago
Just to follow up too (from your iPhone XR SIM topic).

If you reach out to our Social Media Team through Facebook or Twitter here:

http://facebook.com/idmobileuk/
http://twitter.com/id_mobile_uk

They'll be able to quickly get that activated for you once it arrives."

I don't know why an employee wouldn't share this on my thread but there you go. The LiveChat operative said:

"Isaiah: I am just organizing a new sim sent to your addresss.
Ravenmiss: Thanks
Isaiah: You would need to contact us to have this activate.
Ravenmiss: Ok, can I do that via live chat?
Isaiah: Yes please, sending the new sim will take 3-5 working days."

So there seems to be conflict here also.

I've only been with iDMobille for a few weeks and I'm already losing faith...so far:

-Not being told about needing a "special sim" for new iPhones
-Getting info via PM instead of via the forum to help all users (surely that's the point of "community")
-Conflicting information, I can activate it via LiveChat but being told privately to do that via social media

I'm a little worried about the disjointed manner iDMobile are handling this. (As a CS manager for a company that deals with social media, forums and LiveChat I'd be concerned at staff acting like this.) Sorry to sound pompous but I can't help it!

I'm just fortunate that I've bought my iPhone outright and only have a cheap 30-day contract deal with iDMobile as they aren't seeming to instill me with much confidence at the moment.
Userlevel 1
Omg it seems like they have known about this for a while now!

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ios-27/iphone-xs-on-id-29056
https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ios-27/most-disgraceful-network-and-customer-services-29061

Disgraceful.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @ravenmiss,

We fully understand the inconvenience caused by this SIM issue. There has been an ongoing compatibility issue with the new iPhones and the latest type of SIM card that we use. Apple have advised us that they are currently working on a fix to amend the compatibility of our SIM cards which should be sorted by installing a software update available from Apple in December.

The new SIM card that we have sent you will work with your phone once it arrives.

Ryan
Userlevel 1

The new SIM card that we have sent you will work with your phone once it arrives.

Ryan

I thought I had to activate it??
I have just received my special sim for the iPhone XR and it still doesn’t work or recognise the sim so I still can’t use my new phone. I’m feeling very let down by ID mobile right now!!!
Userlevel 1
I got my sim today, activated it via LiveChat and all is fine. Did you contact iDMobile to activate the sim card?

Contrary to the above employee it does have to be activated. It won't work straight "once it arrives".

I have been told also that a mass email was sent out to all customers about this problem. But that was at the end of Sept. I joined iDMobile after then and it seems they are failing to tell new customers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @ravenmiss,

I'm sorry for the confusion caused by my wording there, the SIM cards that we send out in this way do need activating, that's always been true, what I meant was that once the SIM card arrives, you'll have the correct one to ensure that your services work with your current phone.

@Jennyspurr123, have you been in touch with us to have your SIM card activated?

Ryan
Userlevel 1
No problem. I got told I'd be compensated for the time I couldn't use my phone. This wasn't offered to me. How do I claim this? Can you arrange it for me Ryan?
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hey @ravenmiss,

We'd need access to your account in order for us to look into this request to see what was offered. Can you contact our Live Chat team here to have this investigated? We would recommend doing so only once you have your new SIM card so it can be worked out properly.

Ryan
Hi Ryan, I have the same issue described above. I received my new SIM today but there are no instructions on how to activate it. I have never seen any message in your live chat system other than “all our operators are currently busy” and I can’t call as I have been with out a working phone for three days now. Please help me to get the new SIM activated.

Also, it is a disgrace that your not being more transparent about this issue as a company.

Sara
Userlevel 1
Hi Ryan, I have the same issue described above. I received my new SIM today but there are no instructions on how to activate it. I have never seen any message in your live chat system other than “all our operators are currently busy” and I can’t call as I have been with out a working phone for three days now. Please help me to get the new SIM activated.

Also, it is a disgrace that your not being more transparent about this issue as a company.

Sara

As above, you can contact them on Facebook or Twitter as well and they'll do it for you or you can hang around waiting for a LiveChat op to be available or I guess you can ring them as well etc..

The transparency is disgraceful tbh. They KNOW this is an issue yet they only thought to tell existing customers, new ones have to go through this mess. It's not made a good impression on me and I'm glad I only have a 30-day contract as I'll probably be leaving.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Sara,

It is disappointing to hear that. Have you managed to have your SIM card activated since your message here a couple of days ago?

We have been as transparent as possible with this issue since we found out, and you can find our official community post regarding this situation here.

Ryan
Userlevel 1
We have been as transparent as possible with this issue since we found out, and you can find our official community post regarding this situation here.

Ryan

Yet this wasn't signposted to new members and I assume it still isn't?

All you have to do is add a link to this major issue in welcome emails. Not all new members or those getting a new phone would think so scour a community forum to check for possible problems that a company may be having.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hi @ravenmiss

I've passed on your feedback internally as you do certainly raise a good point in that more could be done to try and prevent others from running into similar delays or frustrations due to the compatibility issues with our default SIM's and the new 2018 iPhone's.

Rest assured we'll be doing all we can to improve knowledge of the issue and hopefully get it changes so that people selecting new SIM's are able to notify us if they're on the new iPhones to ensure they get the right SIM right off the bat.

I apologise again for how this whole campaign has gone so far, but we always try to use all feedback we get like this to try and shape and improve upon things going forward.

Kevin
Userlevel 1
Thank you for your professional reply Kevin.
Userlevel 1
I have the same problem but with an iPhone XS Max, has 2 new sims and neither of them work, haven’t been able to use my new phone from when it come nearly 2 weeks ago
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @JessR091102,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with the SIM card in your iPhone XS Max.

I would advise that you contact our Live Chat Team HERE to request for a new SIM card. Please let the team know which handset you are using and we can get this resolved for you.

Let us know how you get on and we can assist you further.

-Kash

Why iD Mobile?