Question

Issue with iMessage & Facetime

• 3 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I have just upgraded from EE to ID Mobile and got the new iPhone 12.

My number ported over with no issues but I cannoy get iMessage or Facetime to activate my mobile number. My apple ID works fine but not the mobile number. I get the same message each time (iMessage Activation - an error occurred during activation. try again)

I have tried all the hints and tips online but nothing seems to work.

I have also spoken with apple directly and ID twice and they cannot seem to fix the issue. They recommended I visit a apple store or carphone warehouse store but I have none of these locally.

I need iMessage to work ASAP as I use my mobile for work purposes and is a key feature.

Can anyone help or anyone else having a similar problem?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

I am having the EXACT same issue - ported from EE to iD last week, and can see my number listed as an option in iMessage and FaceTime, but unable to select them, and stuck with ‘activation unsuccessful’.

Also spoken to Apple (for two hours!!), and think it’s a SIM issue, rather than AppleID. Did you get anywhere with this? It’s so infuriating!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Elliotmace123 @VictoriaSibley 

This is likely your iPhone settings holding on to the original iD SIM number and not updating to the one that has ported over.

To manually overcome this.

Could you go to Settings > [Your Profile] > Name, Numbers, Emails
and then ensure within there that the correct number is showing?

You may possibly need to log out of iCloud or Apple ID in order to make the change.

Another method that has worked in the past for others is as follows...
Turn off the iPhone > Take out your SIM
Turn the iPhone back on (no SIM) > Leave on for a minute or so.
Pop the iD Mobile SIM back in the iPhone > Turn back on.

Let us know how you get on.

Having the exact same issue too. Every troubleshooting solution I try doesn’t work. Have you had any luck with solving this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @CherieJ,

We’re sorry to hear that, have you tried all of the below steps in order too?

1)    Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2)    Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3)    Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
4)    If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5)    Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6)    Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”. 

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?