Solved

Unable to send text messages properly on a new iPhone

• 30 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi there,

I ported in my old number to my new iphone, but the number that the ID Mobile sim card came with is still the dominant number on all icloud and messaging parts of my phone. It’s grey, so unable to be deleted, and I can’t seem to add the number I ported (which all my contacts have as me)… It seems to disappear after I restart the phone.

This means that messages won’t send, or will send after a long time, but will send triplicated, so 3 messages at one time.

In addition, my imessages and facetime calls won’t go through as the number I ported, by my icloud email address, no matter what I try. Rather frustrating all round.

Any help much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Ryan 2 July 2020, 14:18

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Sam123,

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, sometimes iPhones do not auto-update their settings after a number port has occurred. Please try the following steps one by one and let me know how it goes.

1)    Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2)    Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3)    Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
4)    If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5)    Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6)    Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”. 

Thanks,
Ryan

Fixed! Many thanks Ryan.

Sam

Userlevel 1

I just want to say thank you to Ryan for those step-by-step instructions. I was having the same problem with my iPhone, and this fixed it.

If anyone reading this is still having trouble, try it again. The first time I tried this, it still wasn’t working right. But I tried again 10 mins later and it worked.

[Edit: actually I realised I was doing step 3 wrong. I went Settings> My Profile (at top) > Name, Phone Numbers, Email. But I’ll leave my comment here as others might be in the same boat!]

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Great to hear that’s all sorted @bexbrenna 

Hopefully topics like these and your reply will help others, at least that’s what we’d hope anywho.

If you ever need us again, just come back here.

Take care.

Why iD Mobile?