Question

4G+ speed has halved recently?

I’m not 100% sure when it started (sometime in the last couple of weeks), but my 4G+ (LTE) network speed has more than halved to ~24Mb/s (Yes I really was consistently getting 50+Mb/s on my 4G+ router connection)

Postcode PL19 9DG

Any ideas whey?

Yes I’ve tried rebooting my router etc. Is there work happening in the area? How do I find out?

Thx

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @gf47,

Checking the masts in the area, it looks like some congestion is currently being reported. This is when there’s a high volume of connections at a mast. This can affect the speeds, hence the issue ocurring.

It’s showing an estimated date of being improved for the 03/05/21.

If you could please test this following a restart next week and let us know how you get on.

Mohammed

Thanks - is there a web page I can check on for myself (or is it internal info for idmobile only?)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @gf47 

This is an internal check we do on our end which gives the update on local Mast coverage and any planned maintenance. How are you getting on with your 4G today?

-Mohsin

Marginally better (26Mb/s) - but still way down on typical speeds

Must be all the tourists down here in Devon on this bank holiday soaking up the bandwidth :-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Yes @gf47  does seem like a lot of congestion in the area and that's maybe why. Please test again over the next few days and let us know how you are getting on.

-Mohsin

34Mb/s just now. it was 45Mb/s first thing this morning. 

As you said - looks like a capacity issue and the Three network page shows “we are fixing an issue in your area” - but then again - it has said that every day for the last 15 months! (I know - I check regularly)

Any ideas when Three are going to get their finger out and actually fix the capacity issue in this area?

(Just FYI - if I use a Three SIM - I get half the speed that you guys provide on the same router/setup. You actually provide a faster connection than Three do - on Three infrastructure!) weird.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @gf47,

Unfortunately, we have no estimated dates for when they will finish the work in the area; maybe it has already been fixed but they have not updated the page to show that fact. It is strange that their speeds are slower than ours; they should typically be the same.

Ryan

As expected Three still says that they are “We’re fixing an issue with our network in this area” (as it has said since at least March 2020)

However, using the IDMOBILE SIM, I’m currently getting 50+Mb/s on my router, and 60Mb/s on my phone (I have 2 idmobile accounts) - Putting back my Three SIM in the router and I’m only getting 18Mb/s!. Using the Three SIM, the router refuses to connect using 4G+ (LTE?) - and will only connect at 3G or basic 4G speeds. Hence the speed difference I assume.

So I’m cancelling my Three contract just as soon as I can do so without penalty. I’ll then be idmobile all the way.

Seems like it might have been all the tourists down here over the bank holiday week causing the problem.

Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

No Problem @gf47 

It seems the data speed has increased since you messaged us last week. Feel free to message us if you have any further issues.

-Mohsin

Why iD Mobile?