Question

Cannot view any videos on Britbox

Userlevel 1
Badge

For the last few days I have had a problem viewing videos on Britbox. I can generally navigate the Britbox site OK - it is just when trying to play a video that the problem arises. The screen locks with the “waiting” circle and eventually gives the Britbox error message 

“Sorry, something went wrong

We are currently experiencing issues playing your video. Please try again later.”

This problem does not happen when using Britbox from other networks (EE is file) but it has been happening consistently now on Id Mobile for the last few days.

The only time it has worked on Id Mobile in the last few days is when I was away from by usual location. I was in Bridport and it worked there. I noted the ip address was 92.40.248.60 Once it had worked in Bridport it continued to work for a time at my usual location and I noted that it was still using the 92.40.248.60 ip address Since then it has not worked and the ip address is different (all commencing with 92.40.168 or 92.40.169).

21 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

We’re sorry to hear you’ve been having problems there @Nemo 

Are you trying to watch Britbox on your phone itself, or are you tethering your phone to a device that’s trying to connect to BritBox?

Do other streaming services work ok (Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube)?

Could we get a full postcode too for an area in which you’ve noticed problems?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Kevin

I’m trying to watch Britbox on the phone itself.

Other streaming services work - I have tried YouTube and iPlayer and they work OK.

BA9 9LD is an example of where I’ve noticed problems.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

HI @Nemo,

Thank you for that. We can see that the coverage should usually be excellent outdoors and good indoors so we would expect that it would work fine, as do your other apps. If you head to the app section of your phone settings, does clearing the saved data and/or cache help in solving the issue?

Ryan

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Ryan,

Just to be clear: all the streaming services I mentioned (both the ones which work and Britbox which doesn’t) I am using via a brower (Chrome) - not via an app on the phone   

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Nemo,

I would advise clearing the saved data and cache as advised by Ryan as this does usually make an improvement.

You can also try switching to 3G only in the network settings as this can improve things.

Let us know how you get on and if any improvement is made.

Kash

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have tried 3G and that works. I don’t know yet what the performance will be like but it has got me past first base which is a definite improvement.

With regard to clearing saved data and cache, the Chrome app on my phone does not have that option - not that I can see anyway.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Nemo,

The option is found in Settings  > Apps or Applications and then you find Chrome from the list.

But not to worry if you can’t find it.

Let us know how you get on with 3G.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Mohammed

I can find Chrome under Apps without difficulty but I can’t see any saved data and cache clearing option within Chrome.

I will let you know how I get on with 3G for sure but I would like 4G to work on Britbox as well because the 4G signal is stronger (have to go into attic room to use 3G). Does the fact that 3G works give you any clue as to what may be the problem with 4G?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

If it works with 3G then it gives us some ideas of what we can cross out in terms of deducing the issue @Nemo.

Will

Userlevel 1
Badge

In an earlier post I mentioned that it had worked in Bridport (away from my usual location) and I speculated that it might be something to do with the IP address range. However in light of the fact that we now know that it works on 3G I am wondering whether what I speculated about in my earlier post might be a red herring. Depending on the reception in an area the phone may use 3G or 4G, and sometimes flip between them, and because I did not at that time know that it might be a 3G/4G issue I did not notice whether it was using 3G or 4G. Perhaps the reason why it worked on that occasion was simply because it happened to be using 3G and was nothing to do with the location or IP range.

So far (since the problem started happening a week or so ago) I have never got 4G to work with Britbox at any location.     

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Nemo 

Would you be able to try downloading the BritBox app on to your phone and seeing if that works with 4G?

Also, have you tried using more than 1 different browser on your phone to try to see if that works any better with Britbox?

Let us know how you get on.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It works on 4G using the BritBox app.

I have tried two browsers - Chrome and the Samsung browser - and neither work using 4G.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Could you continue to use Britbox through the app and let us know how things fair there? 

Hopefully it’s a better solution for you in the time being?

Have you raised this with the Britbox Team to ask if they’ve had any contact regarding this?  We’d be curious to know if this is happening to other people on Three (who is the network we use) or even other networks entirely.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have raised with with Britbox and they say they are looking at it. They have told me that a few other people have also raised the problem and that all the people raising the problem were using Three. 

In addition to my ID Mobile phone, I have a Three home broadband box and I get the same problem with that - i.e. 3G OK but 4G gives this problem with Britbox. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

OK, that’s good that they’re looking into it for you @Nemo. Please let us know what they get back to you with.

Will

Userlevel 1
Badge

In theory they are looking into it but I’m not holding my breath!

Similarly with Three!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

We’ll keep our fingers crossed in the meantime for you @Nemo.

Please keep us posted on any developments.

Will

Userlevel 1
Badge

I checked it again today and it is now working with 4G.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Nemo,

That’s good to hear! Did Britbox give you any update or outcome on the fault reported to them?

Ryan

Userlevel 1
Badge

No. Nobody has come back to me. I just happened to try it again and found that it worked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Sorry to hear that @Nemo

May be worth chasing them up for an update if this is still required.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?