Solved

Domain emails (ie; not Gmail, Yahoo etc)

• 27 December 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Just changed my mobile phone and provider to iD which I understand uses the ‘3’ platform(?)

My previous service provider Vodafone and my website domain hosting provider each did not provide an outgoing mail server service and therefore I was unable to send domain address emails from my mobile phone unless I used the Yahoo platform as the outgoing mail server

Please could you advise if things might be different with iD/whether technology might have altered, and if-so, which outgoing mail settings I would need to use for a domain email address (eg; joe@herewego.com) on my Android phone in order to be able to send, not just receive emails?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Lipps64 28 December 2018, 21:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Lipps64,

The best way to set up a domain address email is to see if the provider of the domain has some outgoing email server settings that you can use, most of them will do.

If they don't, then a good work around which could work with some providers is to set up the email account manually using the gmail app on your Android device, and use the gmail outgoing server settings to carry the email.

Gmail outgoing email server settings:
smtp.gmail.com
Requires SSL: Yes
Requires TLS: Yes (if available)
Requires Authentication: Yes
Port for SSL: 465
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

Ryan
Badge +10
@Lipps64 to add to what Ryan has mentioned, ideally you would want it keep with your domain name and hosting company, and most if not all should provide email services as standard with any hosting, unless it is one of the free domain hosting services then that is to be expected that they wont.

Without exchanging any personal information you can PM me the name of the hosting company, I might be able to help you out more?

Yahoo/Gmail are notorious for stopping you pigging backing their email service, you might have to alter the outgoing port if you get blocked, a simple number change if needed.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Ryan & Terry

Solved, and I am confident solved on the basis of your solution advice 🙂

With my previous phone I used Outlook as my mail client. Nothing wrong with Outlook, but for no particular reason other than opting for a change, I installed BlueMail as an alternative to sticking with Outlook on my new phone/having swapped to iD. BlueMail proved amazingly intuitive and located and loaded all required settings with no more input than my typing-in my domain email address and password as previously provided by the domain service provider (iRack Networks [Manchester])

No hiccups and worked straight-off for the domain email, and same went for web-based Gmail; and BT broadband email addresses etc

Seamless! No similar hosting issues previously experienced in the past

Thanks again both
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Lipps64,

That's great! I'm glad that you managed to find a work around for your email access. It sounded easy enough in the end! :)

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?