Solved

Picture messages failing on Doro 6520

• 11 November 2020
  • 4 replies

I pray someone can help because this phone belongs to my dear 87 year old Grandma and she’s at the end of her tether with it. I’ve had numerous conversations with ID and Doro to try and resolve this so I’m praying one of you clever lot has the answer 🤞🏼

Up until 2 months ago my Grandma could receive picture messages with no problem. Then the problem started. When she receives a picture message it comes through and asks her to “download” (which it never did before, it used to come straight through) so we select this option then wait a few minutes until it come up with a red cross and the message “FAIL: COMM server timed out” or “FAIL COMM: connection error”. We then delete that message but it comes back again a few minutes later and we repeat the process again! No matter how many times we delete it keeps coming back and fails. For example we delete it then 6 hours later it comes back through again, over and over no matter how many times we delete it.

ID suggested it was the APN settings but I’m not sure those settings are correct, on her handset they are as follows…

Account Name: ID

APN: ID

Username: (is blank)

Password: (is blank) 

Homepage: http://mms.um.idmobile.co.uk:10021/mmsc 

Connection Type: HTTP

Use Proxy: Yes

Proxy Address: 0.0.0.0

Proxy Port: 8799

Username: (is blank)

Password: (is blank)

Other things we have tried are…

-doing a full reset of the phone, so cleared all the photos off and wiping contacts. 

-putting her SIM card into another Doro 6520, but the picture message wouldn’t deliver to that handset either.

-putting another SIM card into her handset, it still wouldn’t deliver a picture message. 

I am completely stuck now, I’m unsure if it’s the handset or ID’s fault. My husbands Nan has an identical handset and is with ID and her phone is doing exactly the same when we send her picture messages! 
Thank you in advance to anyone who can please help me 🤞🏼

icon

Best answer by PRD 19 November 2020, 14:11

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @CJAJ 

Thanks for contacting us here.

I’ve actually just found out that there is an issue with Doro directly for this as there are other models affected.

We’ve already raised this ref: INC300000421374 and it’s being looked into by Doro directly.

We’re working on getting this sorted and we hope it’s resolved soon.

For now, we’d recommend advising your Grandmother to hang tight.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Mohammed

Hello Mohammed 

Thank you very much for your reply. We have been searching for answers the last 2 months so I’m grateful you’ve possibly found a cause. 
You say hang tight but how will this be resolved if it’s a fault by Doro? This handset is just a year old and we still have the receipt. Can you please tell me what will possibly happen next cause we are at the point of leaving ID and starting all over again, which she really doesn’t want to do. She is currently without a phone cause I’m trying everything I can to fix it. It’s getting urgent that we resolve this so she has her phone back.

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it. 

Kind Regards 

Claire

Userlevel 1

Hi Claire

My mum has a Doro 6620 and recently purchase a new 6620 from Carphone warehouse as she was unable to receive photo messages and we assumed quite wrongly that it was a faulty phone.  Since October we have made numerous calls, emails, texts, chats with id and got nowhere.  It became a part-time job of hours each day trying to sort mum’s unexplained problems with her phone.  I would like to emphasise that id have been completely untrue in their numerous chats blaming every technical reason under the sun accept for the true one.

Yesterday I spoke with Doro and managed to get them on the phone at the same time that I was on chat with id.  This is the real answer, not that id will tell you this…

In April 2020 the issue with id any other networks commenced, and you can check with with other networks who will confirm this as true (I have already had a ring around and it is).  

Doro says id do not support 6620 model but all other networks do.  When I informed id that all the information that had sent over these past weeks never on one occasion mentioned what Doro said they then suddenly replied at the point of sale (carphone warehouse) should have explained that Doro do not support this model (shifting the blame after the truth came out).  id was unable to comment why since October that had not said this to me in their numerous chats and why they were now confirming this as Doro had exposed the true problem.  The handset is not 3G or 4G compatible with id SIM card which id knew all along and hid behind the truth delaying this issue being resolved  - shame on them for an 80 year old who relies on her phone photos to keep in touch with family at this difficult time.  id said the phone has other functions e.g. texts and calls and I explained the phone was sold on the basis that it would receive photos and id said not everyone wants photos and put the blame back to carphone warehouse.  Carphone warehouse have a contract with id and sell their phones with id service knowing it is not compatible.  

id have now confessed their SIM cards are not compatible with 2G handsets after being exposed.  I have called EE and they have accepted a contract and confirmed my mum can now get her photos and that the issue with id has been since April 2020 and id are fully aware and being dishonest about their compatibility and hiding behind technical jargon to collect the monthly fee and simply do not care about the elderly or vulnerable and money is more important than the users needs.  

Shame on you id, shame on you…..

Will never use this company every again.  Wish I had time to report them to trading standards however my mum has been in tears over all of this and I am not prepared to keep this going and want my mum to put this whole sorry mess behind her.

I hope this information helps.

Hello PRD 

Firstly I am so sorry your poor mum has had this stress and worry with her phone too, it is completely unacceptable. Secondly thank you VERY much for such a detailed reply of your experiences.
I completely agree that iD are absolutely USELESS! 
Yesterday I finally had confirmation myself from Doro technical support that this issue is infact 100% iD’s fault as they no longer support the 6520 or the 7060! 
I to am very disgusted with iD that for 2 months they have lied to us and strung us along with many excuses and endless phone calls repeating the same thing! They even had the nerve to blame Doro when it was them all along! 
The final straw was being told by iD that the problem all along was because my Grandmas cap was at £0 and sending pictures messages is 30p, so that’s what was causing the problem! THIS WAS NOT THE PROBLEM, she wanted to receive them not send them and for 22 months of her contract she had no problems receiving at all and her cap has always been £0 since the beginning!?? Just more lies and excuses from iD!!

We are very angry and disappointed and will also never be using iD again. We have 4 elderly family members who we will now all be removing from iD and moving to Tesco Mobile who have great tariffs and better customer service! 
I’d just like to add that Doro have been fantastic! They were proactive and attentive to our problem and worked hard and fast to resolve our issue! They have even given my Grandma at discount code to use on their website because they’re so sorry for the distress iD have caused, even though this is not their fault. 

iD should be ashamed of themselves! The time stress and worry it’s caused us all in these difficult times is unforgivable! 
I’m very glad you’ve joined EE and resolved the issue for your dear mum. iD had lost many customers as a result of their dishonesty and awful customer service! 

Why iD Mobile?