Question

How to use classic PAYG as a new customer

• 1 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Sorry if my English is bad,

I’m considering switching to iD mobile as it has one of the best classic PAYG rates : (3p per minute/ 2p per text/ 1p per MB). However I cannot find a way to request a free sim. I’ve looked everywhere and it seems the only way is to buy the cheapest PAYG bundle which is £6 a month, then cancel/return the subscription. My question is, is there any way to get the classic PAYG without cancelling/returning the bundle as I would rather not buy the bundle. If there is no way to do this, then how do i cancel the bundle and get my money back after buying the bundle so I can use the classic PAYG.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @SilentZero,

Your English is perfectly fine!

You wouldn’t purchase and return to get a PAYG plan.

You’d need to purchase a PAYG SIM from our website via the PAYG section. 

When purchasing you need to buy 1 bundle in order to take out the SIM.

After the bundle expires you are not required to purchase a new one and have the option of either purchasing a bundle (if you wanted) or topping up with credit.

Then the top-up credit is used as 3:2:1 as above.

You could also convert credit in the future into a bundle if you wanted.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way that I can do it without purchasing the bundle? I would rather just top-up £10 and that would last me for much longer than a month. I feel like £6 a month is too much, even though it is only for 1 month.

Thanks for responding to my question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @SilentZero,

There isn’t a way to outright purchase a PAYG plan as a bundle is required in the first instance.

Sorry about that!

EDIT: perhaps Carphone Warehouse (once open for sale) may offer this

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi Mohammed,

Is there any way that I can refund the bundle after buying it? If not, then I completely understand and thanks for responding to my queries. :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

HI @SilentZero 

Unfortunately, you can not return the bundle which is added on when purchasing the PAYG sim.

-Mohsin

Userlevel 1

Hi Mohammed,

I’m afraid I won’t be able to use iD mobile since I am 17 and need to be at least 18 to buy a Sim Only or Pay Monthly contract due to the credit checks. I have a bank account but on this Carphone Warehouse link it says I must be at least 18. “https://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c%7B2c8e8810-f554-11de-da00-000000000000%7D

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @SilentZero 

We can confirm you will need to be 18 to take out a contract in your name. 

-Mohsin

Why iD Mobile?