Solved

Phone returned, contract cancelled, no fees due - Why appoint debt collectors?

Userlevel 1

The phone was never used and box unopened. I spoke to customer service who agreed I could cancel the contract and return the phone as it was within the 14 day return period.

They confirmed that it was cancelled and that I simply had to return the phone. No charges due. Phone was returned using Parcel2Go at my expense (£60.26). This was early December last year.

No contact has been made from ID Mobile to me since then. 

Over 5 weeks later I’m contacted by Overdales chasing a debt I knew nothing about. 

Various emails with Overdales up until 24th Feb resulting in them saying they were returning my account to their client (ID Mobile) 

3 weeks later a new debt collection company CARS UK email me about an outstanding balance with ID Mobile but provide no details. 

I have tried periodically to contact ID Mobile unsuccessfully. 

I consider the case closed and if ID Mobile have any queries they can contact me directly. 

icon

Best answer by david987 16 March 2022, 21:12

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @david987, if you purchased online from iD Mobile, you’ll have had 30-days to return the item.

Did you setup a direct debit (DD) at the time of ordering?

If you did setup a DD and then cancelled it, you’ll have left a unpaid amount on your iD account.

The quickest way to resolve this and minimise risk of affecting your credit score, is pay the debt and argue about the injustice afterwards.

Also, could be some tips for you in the “How do I cancel or return my order?” community article.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Okay @david987, if you purchased online from iD Mobile, you’ll have had 30-days to return the item.

Did you setup a direct debit (DD) at the time of ordering?

If you did setup a DD and then cancelled it, you’ll have left a unpaid amount on your iD account.

The quickest way to resolve this and minimise risk of affecting your credit score, is pay the debt and argue about the injustice afterwards.

Also, could be some tips for you in the “How do I cancel or return my order?” community article.

Anyway, good luck.

That is of no help at all. 

All the correct steps have been taken.

I will await a response from ID mobile. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @david987, this online community is not real-time, so it could be several days or longer before someone from iD Mobile reads your post and responds.

Anyway, best of luck with this.

Userlevel 1

Okay @david987, this online community is not real-time, so it could be several days or longer before someone from iD Mobile reads your post and responds.

Anyway, best of luck with this.

Yes I understand that ID mobile are very hard to get hold of, that’s why I have resorted to posting here. 

Like I said before I will wait for ID mobile to respond.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

ID Mobile start billing you from the day of dispatch. So, even if you return a phone under the 30 day cooling off period a final bill will be generated that will include a partial line rental charge. The partial line rental charge covers the date period the phone was dispatched and ID Mobile receiving the phone back. t doesn't matter that you didn't unbox or use any goods or services as they were provided as requested by you and so still due. Hopefully an ID Mobile staff member will be along soon to offer you some assistance... Good Luck

​​​​

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes I understand that ID mobile are very hard to get hold of, that’s why I have resorted to posting here. 

You might find a PM to iD Mobile via their facebook or twitter page, gets a faster response to your query - good luck with this.

Userlevel 1

ID Mobile start billing you from the day of dispatch. So, even if you return a phone under the 30 day cooling off period a final bill will be generated that will include a partial line rental charge. The partial line rental charge covers the date period the phone was dispatched and ID Mobile receiving the phone back. t doesn't matter that you didn't unbox or use any goods or services as they were provided as requested by you and so still due. Hopefully an ID Mobile staff member will be along soon to offer you some assistance... Good Luck

​​​​

As you are not aware of all the details you naturally cannot answer correctly. 

Userlevel 1

You might find a PM to iD Mobile via their facebook or twitter page, gets a faster response to your query - good luck with this.

I do not use facebook or twitter. 

You say they may be quicker to respond on a 3rd party social media website rather than their own forum. How ridiculous. I’ve got a strange idea, why not answer the phone or have staff on the live chat. Perhaps they are all on social media looking at pictures of cats. 

@andewhite if they are not paying you then I would apply for a job as it seems like you would be good at customer service and they certainly need help. Good luck with that. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@andewhite if they are not paying you then I would apply for a job as it seems like you would be good at customer service and they certainly need help. Good luck with that. 

Thanks @david987 - maybe I should.

Anyway, over the last week or two, the iD team dealing with community posts seem to be struggling to catch-up and keep-up with member posts.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @david987 - maybe I should.

Anyway, over the last week or two, the iD team dealing with community posts seem to be struggling to catch-up and keep-up with member posts.

Userlevel 1

Still no response from ID mobile

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @david987, sorry to hear about this. We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Thank you,

Rory

I’ve the same problem.

My husband purchased a phone contract with ID Mobile before Christmas to surprise me with an iPhone 13. On Christmas day we tried transferring my current number to the new phone, but it wouldn’t work. After contacting ID mobile we were told we cannot transfer an ID mobile number to another ID mobile contract?!!!? Silly, I know, however they were really helpful and said to return the phone to carphone warehouse or take it to a Currys. We returned it before New Year and ordered an another iPhone 13 via my account. That transferred and all is well. In early March we’ve got a letter and repeatedly to talk about an £18 debt by CarsUK. They won’t talk to us as we don’t know the original number for the returned phone?  No one at ID mobile knows about the debt and they don’t recognise the numbers being quoted by CarsUK. We are looking forward to our day in court….. :)  Emma King

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

When you return a phone and/or SIM you are still liable for any line rental (and out of allowance calls and texts) from the date of activation to the point of disconnection.

An example - If I take out a contract phone on Monday the 1st January 2022 and return it on the 7th January, then I would receive a final bill requesting payment for an amount that covers that timeframe.

So, the £18 is very likely the partial monthly charge of whatever the line rental would have been for that month.

When you return a phone and/or SIM you are still liable for any line rental (and out of allowance calls and texts) from the date of activation to the point of disconnection.

An example - If I take out a contract phone on Monday the 1st January 2022 and return it on the 7th January, then I would receive a final bill requesting payment for an amount that covers that timeframe.

So, the £18 is very likely the partial monthly charge of whatever the line rental would have been for that month.

They took that on the first months bill of the new phone, as we queried what it was?

We’ve several phones with ID mobile… they know our number, why not call and discuss whatever it is?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I'm just a customer like you and without looking at your account it's impossible to know exactly why there is or was an outstanding amount. I was just pointing out what I thought it may have been and the billing process involved with returns.

TBH, I don't like the way iD Mobile provides account access. A maximum of two pay monthly accounts per customer and each account has to have its own direct debit, username and online account. I also believe that when a final bill is produced it should be mandatory that it's sent out in the post. For all networks, not just iD Mobile!

Many customers who cancel under any cooling off period never setup an online account and once returned/cancelled they couldn't setup an online account to view any pending bills even if they wanted to as they can no longer receive the required security code via SMS. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Paul King,

I’m sorry to hear about this situation. We’ll aim to find where this debt has come from. We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further. To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

Ryan

Hopefully Ryan can sort this for us.

I still think it is silly that my Christmas gift (ID Mobile iPhone13) to my wife couldn’t have her existing ID mobile number transfer to it….. If you think about it, if I was a disloyal customer and purchased from a competitor everything would have transferred perfectly and ID mobile would have lost a customer! 

Not to mention all this complication, as it leaves a nasty taste.

Note we’ve two or three other accounts with ID mobile, so dissatisfaction on one account can quickly lead to the others also being moved.

I rapidly loosing my rag with ID mobile.

Emma and I are both communicating with the agency, but to date they haven’t been able to supply either a telephone or account number the debt is in reference to.

You can’t just ask for money without explaining why?!!!!

Kash has just asked “Get Emma to get in touch”….. Emma is sitting next to me laughing her head off. :)

SMARTY were even worse…. separate email account for each SIM…. we’ve back up routers, mobile routers in the van’s…. I got one for my mates caravan, another for my brothers campervan…. got myself into a right mess.

I think a lot of extra communication issues have been generated by GDPR or whatever its call.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

So do as Kash requests and get Emma to make contact directly. iD Mobile cannot communicate or action anything with anyone but the account holder, even if you say she is sitting next to you laughing her head off!

OH… did you think we didn’t try that :)… so funny.

Our problem is we don’t know which email account the supposed debt is attached to.

It isn’t attached to any of our normally used domains.

So communicating from her phone or iPad uses the default email address, which “CARSUK” don’t recognise as the address associated with the debt.

IPSO facto…. apart from our house address and name (available on the voting register) we’ve nothing to link it to us.

They cannot tell us the account number.

They cannot tell us the mobile number.

They cannot tell us the email address…. we rattle them off, and they say NO, NO NO….

I get paid four figures a day and I’m not wasting a single more minute on this.

Thanks for everyone’s help, including ID mobile.
I’ve got communications that confirm they cannot link the debt to us.

Looks like this £18 is never getting paid. If they put a black mark against our name I’ll take action to get it removed, put a compliant into the regulator for each account we have (as we’ve no idea which one is a problem) and close over £1000/pa worth of revenue from them immediately. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You keep saying "you", you can't do anything as this is legally nothing to do with you. One doesn't need to communicate with iD Mobile from a specific email address, you just need to confirm that you are the account holder. I'm a customer just like you, I'm not an iD Mobile fanboy, you got to play the game and to your own advantage! 

All Emma has to do is register an account here in here name or use a Facebook or Twitter account registered in her name to make contact and iD Mobile will help her to resolve this issue. 

It's up to you both how you choose to proceed. I doubt iD Mobile care either way tbh! Anyway, good luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Paul King, as @WelshPaul says, we need to speak to the account holder directly. She can contact us from her own Community account, Facebook, Twitter, or via Live Chat here. Just type “Speak to an agent” to be put through to a human.

Thank you

Rory

Why iD Mobile?