Solved

SIM-only deals which don't expire?

• 15 November 2020
  • 3 replies

I want to buy my elderly neighbour an Alexa device, primarily as security so that she could use the call feature to get help in an emergency.

She doesn’t have a smartphone, and wouldn’t be able to use one if she had. But I have an old iPhoneSE for which I could get a new SIM.

I don’t want her to have a regular monthly outgoing. Is it possible to get a cheap phone/SIM deal which involves only the initial purchase and an occasional topup? The phone would never be used except in an emergency. I did think that a PAYG SIM-only deal would work, but I didn’t realise that all IDMobile’s SIM-only deals only last for a month.

icon

Best answer by Kevin 18 November 2020, 20:42

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @philc

Unless I’m mistaken, I believe if you bought a Pay As You Go SIM that should remain active just as long as it’s topped up once every 6 months.  

It would only be if a “bundle” was purchased in which it would expire after 30-days.  Bundles tend to be more cost-effective for those who will more frequently be using the SIM.

General “credit” on the SIM should sit there for at least a year from what I’ve seen in the past.  Though to keep the number active (and not be auto-disconnected) a top up would need to be done at least once every 6 months.
https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/plans/pay-as-you-go/sim-only
Naturally too you’re in no contract with Pay As You Go.  So if something else came to be a better fit for the situation you’re trying to help with then you’re not tied to anything at least.

Outside of that the next best thing we could suggest would be to get one of our lowest priced Pay-Monthly SIM’s. 

I’ve checked on the IDM web site, and it looks as if I’ve bought a £6 bundle which expires on Dec 18.

What I want is a SIM-only deal which requires a one-off initial payment and then occasional top ups. No monthly payment. No expiry date.

Can I get this from IDM?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @philc 

Your bundle will last for 1 month or until you have used up all your allowances. You can always check how many days you have remaining or how much data you have left by visiting the iD Mobile app or My Account online.

Once your bundle has expired you can top up without a bundle within your iD Mobile account online. 

I hope this helps. 

Michelle 

Why iD Mobile?