Solved

Brexit and Upgrades

• 6 January 2019
  • 1 reply

My contract ends in July, but I'm moving to the EU in March for work for six months.

Questions:

1) Will anything change post Brexit in terms of how I am currently using my phone?

2) I am currently unable to upgrade until May, when I will be out of the country and therefore unable to do so. Is there any leeway in terms of potentially upgrading two months earlier?

3) In the event that I don't upgrade, what happens to my contract when it ends?
icon

Best answer by daniiiiiv 6 January 2019, 20:45

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Hi @Tony

1) Will anything change post Brexit in terms of how I am currently using my phone?
The only changes you might experience would only affect prices, roaming and international charges.
As of yet, its far too soon to know what mobile providers are planning for the future (including iD Mobile).
Multiple sources suggest that:
"Mobile providers have “no plans” to start charging customers for roaming in Europe after Brexit, but admit they don’t yet know what the impact of Britain’s withdrawal from the EU will be."

An EU ruling that came into force last year means it is illegal for operators to charge their customers an additional fee for sending texts, making phone calls or using data within the European Union. Now after Brexit, that law won't apply to the UK anymore so unless we make this law up in our own country during the transition process and put another cap on charges then mobile network operators will be free to take the opportunity to remove your Inclusive Roaming and Increase international charges.

On the other hand, A few mobile network operators such as Three, O2, EE, Tesco, SMARTY, Vodafone (maybe more) have claimed that there are no plans to change their services but will keep up updated. This could even be the case with iD Mobile too although there hasn't been any news on this.

Again, it is too early to tell what changes will come up with Mobile Network Operators in regards to Brexit because they cannot commit until governments Brexit negotiations are complete.

2) I am currently unable to upgrade until May, when I will be out of the country and therefore unable to do so. Is there any leeway in terms of potentially upgrading two months earlier?
iD mobile do not support early upgrades unless you're in one of the following circumstances:
For handset contracts, you can upgrade in the last 60-days of your contract.
For SIM-only plans, you can upgrade to a handset after 6-months of being on a SIM-only plan.

It sounds like you will be able to upgrade early if you're on a 24 month handset contract as 2 months early would be borderline within the 60 day coming to a close.

3) In the event that I don't upgrade, what happens to my contract when it ends?
Unless you downgrade, upgrade or cancel your contracts, typically you will continue to pay the same amount every month until you make those changes. I know some contracts from other providers would move a 12 or 24 contract etc, to a 30 day rolling contract.

Regards

Dan

Why iD Mobile?