Question

Can I transfer my number internally? Why did my bundle expire after 1 month?

• 24 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Well actually my son’s on my recommendation, now I feel a fool for recommending something rubbish (although I’ve been happy with ID for a few years, and got my wife on the same deal too, maybe we need to reconsider now).

He’d signed up but got it wrong, bought a PAYG SIM rather than the £6 pay Monthly I’d suggested He realised the error when his £15 credit ran out after a month with only very light usage (not how I thought PAYG worked anyway).  We’d taken a look on the website and found something that said can’t convert from PAYG to Pay Monthly so we thought, start afresh with a new SIM on Pay Monthly. Failed to get it working so went to online chat and here’s the transcript (to see if there’s anyone at ID that wants to give some sensible answers before I post somewhere more public)

You're chatting with Ryan. 
Ryan at 14:44, Jun 24: 
Hi Ben, how can I help you today? 
ben at 14:44, Jun 24: 
I got a new SIM for a pay monthly account to switch from my previous PAYG. Online I tried to activate and it responds "already activated". 
The account is showing the old number (although I've not done anything to switch number) but if I call that it doesn't respond. 
Old number (which I want to keep) is [redacted] new sim is [redacted]
Ryan at 14:46, Jun 24: 
Thank you for contacting us about your number today. Do you wish to move your number form the one iD mobile SIM card to another? 
ben at 14:46, Jun 24: 
yes 
Ryan at 14:49, Jun 24: 
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, that is not possible. 
Ryan at 14:50, Jun 24: 
You can only have your old number on a different SIM card when you done an upgrade from a SIM-only to a 24 month contract or from 24 month contract to a SIM-only. 
ben at 14:54, Jun 24: 
So you're saying my best option is to scrap my accounts with ID, get a pay monthly sim from another provider and transfer my old number there! 
Ryan at 14:55, Jun 24: 
That is the only option to get your old number on another SIM card from your pay as you go SIM card. 

[ the conversation is continuing while I write this.  Ben is now trying to get Ryan to explain why PAYG only lasted a month] 

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @robh1951, I’m afraid that’s correct; it’s not possible to transfer a number within a network in this way. If Ryan obtains a cheap PAYG SIM from another network, he can PAC his number out to that SIM, and then PAC back across to his new iD Mobile SIM-only contract. Unfortunately, there’s no way for us to do this internally.

With regards to the Pay As You Go SIM, any bundles will last for 1 month or until you have used up all your allowances. There is no rollover on Pay As You Go bundles.

Thank you,

Rory

That’s ridiculous, I’ve had PAYG in the past and it’s always been on the basis that you use it till the balance gets low, then top-up.  The secondary SIM in my phone is a PAYG it’s still got some credit & still works a year since last top-up.

Can’t transfer a number within iD from one SIM to another? I just don’t believe it.

The whole household (3 adults) have now ordered new SIMs from vodaphone and will be moving when those arrive.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @robh1951,

Our pay as you go SIM cards allow you to purchase bundles with the top-up, so when a bundle is bought with the top-up funds, these last for 30-days before expiring.

Top-ups can be made on their own though and without being used towards a bundle which will then act in the traditional manner.

In regards to transferring a number from one iD Mobile account to another, this unfortunately can’t be done. If wanting to stay with us but on a new plan, we always recommend upgrading/changing the phone from within our app or your account online.

Ryan (not the one mentioned in your post)

Why iD Mobile?