Solved

Changing to 30-day rolling SIM only contract from monthly contract

Userlevel 1

My 2 year contract on buying a new phone runs out mid April. I’ve had an email telling me I can then swap to a 30 day SIM only contract @ £6, and I’d like to do this - but there is no option given in ‘My Account’. There are options for other more expensive contracts, but not for the SIM only contract.

Obviously it’s unllikely that ID can respond at the moment. Does anyone know how to get this done? I don’t know if the SIM only option doesn’t appear because I’m still in contract, but I’d like to organise a seamless transition - rather than change after the contract ends and pay another month at the high rate. Many thanks if you can help.

icon

Best answer by Nikhil P 31 March 2020, 12:33

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @rex,

This topic explains how to upgrade: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/upgrades-68/how-do-i-upgrade-31873

When you’re in the upgrade section, you can select SIM-only from the options then find the SIM plan you want to upgrade to.

You may need to scroll down the upgrade options to find the SIM-only option.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thank you - that’s very helpful; yes the option is there right at the end, although I’m not sure that a move from £22/mo to £6/mo is an ‘upgrade’ :)

It does not indicate when the new plan might take effect, as far as I can see (and I did go a long way through the process). Is there a way to make sure that the new plan takes effect as the old plan comes to end of contract? I don’t want to incur cancellation charges if I act too soon.

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @rex 

If you’re doing an upgrade through the iD Mobile App, your tariff change would happen within 24 hours.

Though if it’s an upgrade you’re doing, you shouldn’t face any charges for 2 concurrent tariffs.

Any overpayments or such would all be detailed on your next bill.

Userlevel 1

Thanks - I was looking to change on the day the contract ends, not before, and it’s not clear whether or not changing now would involve a cancellation charge - that is certainly possible, particularly as the cost will be going down (ie it is not an upgrade but a downgrade). The contract is not available online for me to check, as far as I can see.

So in the absence of certain knowledge, I guess I’ll have to change on the exact day that the contract ends.

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hi @rex

Rather than upgrading, you can simply change your plan to a 30-day SIM in the app, it’s really quick and usually takes a few hours, before your new plan is live. You can find out how to change your plan here.

Once you’re out of your 24-month contract, there won’t be a fee to change your plan, however your first bill after you process your change may look a bit different than usual.

If you’ve already paid for your old plan, then you process a plan change, we’ll be sure to credit you for the overpayment, and this will appear on your next bill. So, you don’t have to do it on the day your contact ends, as we’ll credit the difference, but if you’re changing your plan and not upgrading, do, do it after your contract ends.

Once you’ve changed your plan to a 30 day SIM, you can change your plan once every 30 days, so it’s worth keeping an eye on what’s available for you to change to. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nikhil

Userlevel 1

“if you’re changing your plan and not upgrading, do, do it after your contract ends“ - that’s it, exactly. I’ll try to change it on the day. It looks quite simple to do this online, rather than downloading the app.

Thank you.

Can I ask a question please as my mum is in the same scenario. When she changes her plan to the 30 day rolling SIM only in 2 weeks time, she doesn't know how to change her SIM card over and I am unable to visit her to help. After her plan has changed can she carry on using the old SIM card with no problem? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Can I ask a question please as my mum is in the same scenario. When she changes her plan to the 30 day rolling SIM only in 2 weeks time, she doesn't know how to change her SIM card over and I am unable to visit her to help. After her plan has changed can she carry on using the old SIM card with no problem? Thanks

Hello @2e1fmo 

Apologies for the delayed response.

The new SIM should be inactive.

When the upgrade is done, you’ll usually see a message asking if the new SIM has arrived, if you select Yes, it’ll activate the new SIM, thus this will need to be used.

I’d always recommend activating the new SIM and switching over right away, however, you do not need to activate this and can carry on using the old SIM.

I’d recommend keeping the new SIM safe then. We have seen scenarios where customers have accidentally activated the new SIM when roaming or away from home, this can be a big problem as you’ll be without service, hence why I recommend activating the SIM when it arrives and switching over to rule this out.

Mohammed

I also want to go to a SIM ONLY option now that I am out of the 24 month contract period. 
However, I can’t. No matter what device I use, no matter if I am on the desktop website, or in the Mobile Account App, SIM ONLY options do not appear. I have spent over an hour and a half with online chat who keep telling me the SIM only box is there, but it isn’t for me!

Even if I put the offers in order, the cheapest is still a new phone handset offer.
Plus, when I log in and select to change my plan, my cheapest option is my current plan. No SIM ONLY options appear. I have had three people watching over my shoulder and chat refuse to accept that SIM ONLY options do not appear for me.

ID Mobile can’t be contacted by phone at the moment so I am trapped.

This should be the easiest thing to do surely???

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @RustyDusty 

You should be able to see the SIM only options.

Can you please try this once more and let us know if its still not working for you.

Once you select Upgrade, you will get to this page. click on the filter as shown below and you will see options at the side.

Then,  select ‘1 month’ under ‘Contract length ‘to see the SIM only options.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, 

Pearl

Hi @RustyDusty 

You should be able to see the SIM only options.

Can you please try this once more and let us know if its still not working for you.

Once you select Upgrade, you will get to this page. click on the filter as shown below and you will see options at the side.

Then,  select ‘1 month’ under ‘Contract length ‘to see the SIM only options.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, 

Pearl

I want to change from my monthly contract to Sim only but the contract length option  isn’t showing on the upgrade page. My contract ends on 16th August. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Julie73 , once August 16th has passed, you’ll be able to go SIM only, and the options will appear on your upgrade page accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Will

Hi @Julie73 , once August 16th has passed, you’ll be able to go SIM only, and the options will appear on your upgrade page accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Will

If I do this on the 17th will I be charged on my expired contract ? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

You won’t be charged for the old agreement @Julie73 . Your first month of the new tariff will be slightly more than usual due to the prorated billing process. It’ll be like a middle ground between the two tariffs if that makes sense, and any extra paid will come off of your final bill of that new agreement. Does that make sense? 

Will

You won’t be charged for the old agreement @Julie73 . Your first month of the new tariff will be slightly more than usual due to the prorated billing process. It’ll be like a middle ground between the two tariffs if that makes sense, and any extra paid will come off of your final bill of that new agreement. Does that make sense? 

Will

Yes thank you 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

No worries. Please let us know if you need anything else in the future @Julie73 .

Will

Hi

I'm having the same problem as Rusty Dusty. The sim only options are not there when trying to upgrade as there is no filter for contract length.

I did click on an ad on ID Mobile's app for sim only deals and was told I was 'upgrading' but I've received a confirmation email as though I am moving from another network, and it looks like I will need to change my number over if I want to keep in the same.

Have I done something wrong? Could it be because I am 22 months into my 24 month contract? The app said I was eligible to upgrade.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Clare

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Clareybelles , from what you’ve described, your order could have gone one of two ways, so I’d like to take a look into your account to be sure it’s been processed as an upgrade like you wanted.

I’ll drop you a Private Message now and we’ll take it from there.

Will

Hi,

First of all, thanks for all the very helpful answers given above. My mum’s in the same situation and this answered a lot of questions. We are going to change from a 2 year contract to a 1 month sim only, going the “change plan” route (rather than upgrade) when her contract expires. Still, wasn’t crystal clear on what happens when you push the button.

Do you get sent a new SIM card? 

Or am I correct in assuming that all the changes are on the billing side and so from the user’s perspective all that changes is the monthly bill?

No change in phone number?

Cheers for any help,

Dave 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Howdy @Ozzydto 

Generally speaking, you’d just continue with the SIM you had originally.  The plan would change on our side, and update itself automatically on the old SIM.

Doing a plan change would always retain the number you had too.  You would only ever have a new number in cases where you made a brand new purchase for a new SIM.

If you need anything else, just ask.

Why iD Mobile?