Question

Problem upgrading a sim only deal

• 8 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I am a current ID Mobile customer with a sim only deal. On thursday past (2 days ago) I upgraded to another sim only deal advertised on the app. I presumed it would just be a matter of upgrading and the tariff changes; however, since yesterday I have not been able to connect to the network and have received a few messages saying a sim has been posted and activated (haven't received anything in post). I am away for a week without access to a network. Very poor and extremely inconvenient. Would appreciate some advice.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

We’re terribly sorry to hear you’ve been without service due to this @Caomhanl 

Did a message at some stage pop up in your app asking you if you would like to activate the new SIM? 

As this should only ever happen if you’ve told us (through the app) that you’re now using any new SIM we had sent out to you.  Once your new SIM arrives, it will be active ready given what’s happened here.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Kevin - seems like a convoluted process as I don't understand why a new sim is required if already a customer. I am away for a week now and habe no access to my phone. Is there not some way I can get the sim i have reactivated?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Unfortunately once a SIM has been deactivated as it were.

The only option we would have here, outside of waiting for you to get that SIM that’s in the post.  Would be if you were to visit a Carphone Warehouse store and get an iD Mobile SIM from there which they could then activate to be the working SIM on your account.

Would that be something you’re able to do @Caomhanl?

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I am in the south of Ireland so a different jurisdiction - i guess a Carphone Warehouse in the Republic of Ireland is no good for a Northern Ireland network?

Appreciate the help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Caomhanl,

You are correct, the SIM card would need to be obtained from a Northern Ireland store situated inside a Currys PC World I’m afraid. We would advise contacting us here beforehand so that we can ensure this is given free of charge as the SIM cards do come with a small charge.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hi Ryan

Thanks a million for the information. Just back home this evening and no sim card arrived yet despite stated delivery within 3 working days (upgrade last Thursday). Will give it til tomorrow and do as you suggest above if it has not arrived. 

Activating the sim card before it arrived was a silly, although easy, mistake to make on my part. Might be an idea to make the process completely fool proof by making it very clear that a new sim is required and not to activate until it has arrived.

Appreciate the help and advice,

Caomhan

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Caomhanl,

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate that.

Did the SIM card arrive now?

Let us know so we can get someone to PM you and send out a replacement if it hasn’t.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thanks Mohammed, it arrived this morning so all sorted. 

Best wishes,

Caomhan

Why iD Mobile?