Solved

Problems with switch pay monthly to sim only plan

Hello,
I’ve tried to switch from pay monthy (my contract is about to end 26 Aug 2020 - according to info shown on account details - in 17 days).

Using the web, I can see only options to switch to another full time monthly contract with the link SIM only at the bottom - once clicked - the pop up is shown with this kind of info:

Are you sure you want to leave?

If you do, you’ll be able to view deals you can’t upgrade to. You may also have to log back in to see your upgrade deals again.

Using an app is pretty much the same.

I was trying live chat, and one of your agent told me that I’m not eligible to do that until ‘24 days before my contract expire’

When I asked when I’m eligible to do that - the chat was simply ended...

So my question is: how can I change my - about to end - monthly contract to SIM only plan?

Thanks,

Przemo

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 1 September 2020, 15:55

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Przemo,

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

The SIM-only upgrade option is only available in the last 20-days of the contract.

Upgrade eligibility (for handset plans) is available in the last 60-days.

If you’re sure you’re eligible now for a SIM-only then this is done via:

My Account > Upgrade then scroll down till you see SIM-only.

Select that and find the plan you want to upgrade to.

Then you complete this to ge ta SIM-only upgrade.

Can you check again and make sure you are following these steps from your account when logged in?

Include a screenshot (less any private information) where possible if you still face issues.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I’m having the same problem. No sim-only options are shown. My contract ends 26/Aug/2020 (today). I’ve checked the upgrade options almost daily (on the app AND on the website) since I received notification, but there has never been an option to upgrade/mover/switch to sim only.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Aaarooga,

That’s very odd.

Now that you’re out of contract, can you confirm if the option still isn’t showing?

It should be under My Account > Upgrade and then scrolling down till you see SIM only.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I shall describe what I can see when using the mobile app...

As I scroll down I only see “with-phone’ options, then the NHS unlimited offer, then a few more ‘with phone’ offers. Never a sim-only option.  When I get the the bottom I see the options to select ‘about us’, ‘products’ then ‘legal’…..if I wait for a second or so then the page appears to reload and I get the choice of browsing that which I have already scrolled through, namely ‘with-phone’ options.  If I select ‘products’ then it informs me that I am navigating away from the app.

The filter tabs give me the option for manufacturer or price/popularity.

At NO point does the option for sim-only appear.

This has been the case for around the past 4 weeks or so. I thought I may have to wait till I was fully out-of-contract for a sim-only option to appear but it never has.

Regards.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Aaarooga,

Have you tried logging onto your account through a browser to see if this provides these options? Just wondering if it’s an issue with the App or the account itself, and this would give us a good idea either way.

Will

Userlevel 1

Hi Will,

I don’t appear to be able to view any upgrades using a browser ATM - this may be because I have recently modified my contract. However, there is no change from what I describe above when using the app - I logged in only seconds ago to check for you.

Regards

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Aaarooga 

When you say you’ve recently modified your contract.  How do you mean?

As you’d only be able to make a plan change once per 30-days in any case.

Are you definitely out of your contract currently?  As early upgrade options would get advertised to you within 60 days of a contract ending.  Just want to ensure you’re not confusing that upgrade eligibility with the notion that you’re no longer in contract.

Userlevel 1

Kevin.

I was one day past the end of a 2 year ‘with-phone’ contract.  During the period prior to this I was offered ‘upgrades’ and the ability to switch to different plans (the 60 day period you mention). During this time I looked to switch to a sim-only deal using both the ‘phone app AND the website on numerous occasions but the ability to get anything other than a ‘with-phone’ was not (and still isn’t) available.

Every time I checked I was ONLY offered ‘with-phone’ upgrades, or switch options which were ridiculous - for 56p less that I was paying I was offered half the monthly data I was already receiving.  This was some £12 more than if I (were able to) switch to an UNLIMITED data sim only plan (£20)! For only £1.50 MORE than my original plan I could switch to the same data plan I was on! Or I could just keep what I had for the original cost. Nothing was even remotely acceptable.

Trying to select a sim-only plan informed me that I was about to navigate away from deals I COULD upgrade to - the same pop-up mentioned in the original thread of this script by Prezemo.

I now have a new plan with iD (30 GB, unlimited txt & minutes, my “modified plan”) but since this change has happened only a day or so ago I cannot now access any plan-change options via the web site. 

I only used the live chat since no other avenue allowed me to discuss this problem. The operative who dealt with me on live chat seemed to be fully aware of my inability to find sim-only deals, almost as if they had dealt with this problem on numerous previous occasions.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi again @Aaarooga 

So did the Live Chat Team end up having to do the switch you needed?

The option, to the best of my knowledge should be available in the app and on our website to all customers who are outside of an existing contract so that they can sufficiently self-serve themselves in these sorts of cases. 

Giving you more control of your options whenever you wanted so to speak.

Userlevel 1

Yes, I switched using live-chat and I remain with iD. 

However, even during the chat I checked to see if sim-only deals were available (they still weren’t). The person dealing with me gave the impression that this wasn’t the first time they had had to deal with this situation, almost a “..yes, I know you cant do it on the appor web site, but I’ll be able to do it for you...”.

Reading through the Q&A’s posted on this forum there seem to be a lot of people who have similar issues with neither the app or website offering a switch to sim-only.  Its almost as if the company would prefer to only offer a new contract WITH a phone and prevent people moving easily to a sim-only deal, but that would be a very cynical observation and obviously one I wouldn’t even begin to consider!!

To the best of MY knowledge you are incorrect with your assumption that all customers CAN “sufficiently self-serve themselves”, else why would there be this thread in the forum and others like it?

Also, the tag-line “Giving you more control of your options whenever you wanted to speak.” is completely redundant since the ability to ‘speak’ to anyone from iD (other than by live-chat which is script-driven, not verbal) does not currently exist. Its obsolete, patronising and to some may be insulting their intelligence. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes, I switched using live-chat and I remain with iD. 

We’re glad to hear that you were able to switch in the end.

However, even during the chat I checked to see if sim-only deals were available (they still weren’t). The person dealing with me gave the impression that this wasn’t the first time they had had to deal with this situation, almost a “..yes, I know you cant do it on the appor web site, but I’ll be able to do it for you...”.

It’s the first time I’ve come across this issue myself whereby SIM-only upgrades don’t show even after the contract has ended. I can’t speak for what was advised by the Live Chat agent, but we’ve not had any reported faults advising these can’t be carried out.

Reading through the Q&A’s posted on this forum there seem to be a lot of people who have similar issues with neither the app or website offering a switch to sim-only.  Its almost as if the company would prefer to only offer a new contract WITH a phone and prevent people moving easily to a sim-only deal, but that would be a very cynical observation and obviously one I wouldn’t even begin to consider!!

As above, this usually is the case when trying to upgrade before the last 20-days. Without looking at each account, I can’t comment on each specific users issue.

I now have a new plan with iD (30 GB, unlimited txt & minutes, my “modified plan”) but since this change has happened only a day or so ago I cannot now access any plan-change options via the web site. 

This should show after being on the plan for at least 31-days.

I’ll drop you a PM to see if there’s anything we can do to resolve this situation and make up for the poor experience you’ve had.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?