Solved

Should I get iPhone Xr as my first iPhone since getting an iPhone 4?

• 17 February 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve not owned an iPhone personally since the iPhone 4 and I am considering getting an iPhone XR. Would this be a solid upgrade from the Galaxy S8? Would this fare well as a 2nd iPhone?

icon

Best answer by Gregor 19 February 2020, 16:32

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @gearbox162,

I personally haven’t used an iPhone before, solid Android fan here, but I can certainly provide some spec breakdowns for you.

The Samsung S8 was released back in April 2017.

Key specs being Super AMOLED screen at 5.8”

Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection

3D Touch on the Home Buton

Snapdragon 835 Octa-core 2.3GHz

4GB Ram

12MP rear camera

8MP Selfie camera

3000 mAh battery

iPhone XR on the other hand released in October 2018

Key specs being: LCD Touchscreen at 6.1”

Corning Gorilla Glass front & back (I couldn’t find what rating though).

Apple A12 Bionic Chip Hexa-core 2 x 2.5GB + 4 x 1.6GHz

3GB Ram

12MP Main camera

7MP Selfie camera

2942 mAh battery

Comparing the 2, the iPhone XR should have a slightly better camera and a faster processor, but coupled with less RAM, it may not be as snappy as the S8 would be out of the box. The processor is an upgrade as Apple do tend to work some magic on their processors which tends to compensate for the lower Ram, (but I’m not an Apple expert here so hopefully if I’m wrong, someone will correct me!).

The main thing is the battery,  Apple handsets tend to have a quicker draining battery after it hits a lower percentage which means longevity for use in the day can be an issue.

You can see a side-by side comparison here: 

The XR, in my opinion, isn’t a huge upgrade from the S8, the phone was released only a year later. It’s definitely a slight upgrade, but not in a huge amount or solid upgrade which you’re after. If you want a wow factor of discovering tonnes of new features etc, you’re better off going for the 11 models or, switch to SIM-only and hold off until a new iPhone launch which (going in line with others) won’t be until September. 

I watch a YouTuber called Mrwhosetheboss and he did a great comparison of most of the iPhones which I highly recommend checking out.

Sadly the XR isn’t on there as this was essentially a more budget device compared to the XS, but should score around the same as this.

A benchmark test was run and the X scored 455,753 and the XS scored 489, 294. It sounds like a lot of numbers but the jump was only 33 thousand in difference, which isn’t a lot in terms of a noticeable difference.

Comparing that to the 11 Pro which scored 699988 which was 210 thousand more so a huge leap.

If you’re wanting to stay with Samsung after all of this, then the Samsung comparison video can be found here: 

Though, the S20 range is due to be released so this is not in there.

I would highly recommend weighing up your options, feel free to also visit your local Carphone Warehouse store if you want to play around with any of the devices.

If you order from iD Mobile directly, we do offer a 30-day returns policy, so should give you enough time to test out the phone and decide if you wanted to keep this.

I hope this helps somewhat in making a choice.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @gearbox162 

In my opinion I don't see the point in changing from Galaxy S8 to iPhone XR. Only thing that will change will be user experience with different operating system and Apple based environment. It is not and upgrade for me, it's just changing the phone to a different one. I would consider iPhone 11 or Galaxy s10 and upgrade thanks to improved hardware and firmware. If that would be me I would hold on to the Galaxy S8 and wait I bit longer to get better phone when I can afford it. 

Kind Regards

Gregor

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @gearbox162,

I personally haven’t used an iPhone before, solid Android fan here, but I can certainly provide some spec breakdowns for you.

The Samsung S8 was released back in April 2018.

4GB Ram

12MP rear camera

8MP Selfie camera

3000 mAh battery

3GB Ram

12MP Main camera

7MP Selfie camera

2942 mAh battery

Comparing the 2, the iPhone XR should have a slightly better camera and a faster processor, but coupled with less RAM, it may not be as snappy as the S8 would be out of the box. The processor is an upgrade as Apple do tend to work some magic on their processors which tends to compensate for the lower Ram, (but I’m not an Apple expert here so hopefully if I’m wrong, someone will correct me!).

The main thing is the battery,  Apple handsets tend to have a quicker draining battery after it hits a lower percentage which means longevity for use in the day can be an issue.

The XR, in my opinion, isn’t a huge upgrade from the S8, the phone was released only a year later. It’s definitely a slight upgrade, but not in a huge amount or solid upgrade which you’re after. If you want a wow factor of discovering tonnes of new features etc, you’re better off going for the 11 models or, switch to SIM-only and hold off until a new iPhone launch which (going in line with others) won’t be until September. 

I watch a YouTuber called Mrwhosetheboss and he did a great comparison of most of the iPhones which I highly recommend checking out.

Sadly the XR isn’t on there as this was essentially a more budget device compared to the XS, but should score around the same as this.

A benchmark test was run and the X scored 455,753 and the XS scored 489, 294. It sounds like a lot of numbers but the jump was only 33 thousand in difference, which isn’t a lot in terms of a noticeable difference.

Comparing that to the 11 Pro which scored 699988 which was 210 thousand more so a huge leap.

If you’re wanting to stay with Samsung after all of this, then the Samsung comparison video can be found here: 

I would highly recommend weighing up your options, feel free to also visit your local Carphone Warehouse store if you want to play around with any of the devices.

If you order from iD Mobile directly, we do offer a 30-day returns policy, so should give you enough time to test out the phone and decide if you wanted to keep this.

Mohammed

I am not after too solid an upgrade, just a newer phone. Let me correct you on when the S8 was released however.

The S8 was released in 2017. We got an S9 in 2018.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @gearbox162,

The Samsung S8 was released back in April 2018.

4GB Ram

12MP rear camera

8MP Selfie camera

3000 mAh battery

3GB Ram

12MP Main camera

7MP Selfie camera

2942 mAh battery

Mohammed

I also watch Mrwhosetheboss so I recognised his name and watched his iPhone comparison. I wish he did include iPhone XR

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @gearbox162,

Apologies for the typo there, I’ve corrected this now, thanks for that :slight_smile:

The iPhone 11 would be the choice I’d make vs the iPhone XR if you’re after a change due to the extra features, such as the ultra wide-angle lens.

The XR will be cheaper, but as @Gregor, not a considerable upgrade.

Taking pictures in lower light conditions is also better in the iPhone 11 vs the XR, so if the camera is a focus for yourself, then this option is great.

But if you’re after saving some money and not worried about the extra features, maybe the XR is your choice.

Technically, either phone will be a new phone so it will be down to your preference! 

Price wise, for new contracts that is, the XR starts from £29.99 per month with £49.99 upfront, going up to £44.99 per month with a £29.99 upfront cost for unlimited everything.

The iPhone 11 starts from £34.99 per month with a £49.99 upfront cost, going up to £43.99 per month with a £49.99 upfront cost on a 50GB plan.

So on the highest plan for both handsets for the full 24-months and adding the upfront cost also, you’ll only end up paying £4.00 more in total.

These are new contract prices. 

It’s £120.00 more for the 11 vs the XR on the cheapest plan though. 

Hope you're able to make the best choice.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Mohammed  and @gearbox162 

I personally would prefer to pay these £120 extra over 24 months as this is only £5 a month extra, I would buy coffee in Gregg's instead of Costa and that's the five saved here :D 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey @gearbox162 

In my opinion I don't see the point in changing from Galaxy S8 to iPhone XR. Only thing that will change will be user experience with different operating system and Apple based environment. It is not and upgrade for me, it's just changing the phone to a different one. I would consider iPhone 11 or Galaxy s10 and upgrade thanks to improved hardware and firmware. If that would be me I would hold on to the Galaxy S8 and wait I bit longer to get better phone when I can afford it. 

Kind Regards

Gregor

Sorry for the late response but I am going to go for the 11 now. Thanks your answer was marked as best

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello @gearbox162,

Apologies for the typo there, I’ve corrected this now, thanks for that :slight_smile:

The iPhone 11 would be the choice I’d make vs the iPhone XR if you’re after a change due to the extra features, such as the ultra wide-angle lens.

The XR will be cheaper, but as @Gregor, not a considerable upgrade.

Taking pictures in lower light conditions is also better in the iPhone 11 vs the XR, so if the camera is a focus for yourself, then this option is great.

But if you’re after saving some money and not worried about the extra features, maybe the XR is your choice.

Technically, either phone will be a new phone so it will be down to your preference! 

Price wise, for new contracts that is, the XR starts from £29.99 per month with £49.99 upfront, going up to £44.99 per month with a £29.99 upfront cost for unlimited everything.

The iPhone 11 starts from £34.99 per month with a £49.99 upfront cost, going up to £43.99 per month with a £49.99 upfront cost on a 50GB plan.

So on the highest plan for both handsets for the full 24-months and adding the upfront cost also, you’ll only end up paying £4.00 more in total.

These are new contract prices. 

It’s £120.00 more for the 11 vs the XR on the cheapest plan though. 

Hope you're able to make the best choice.

Mohammed

Thanks. I replied to @Gregor saying that I am going for the 11 now.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @gearbox162 

I am glad I could be of assistance as well as you choosing Iphone 11 over XR. You are going to be happy with this phone, I can bet on it. Give us a little feedback how you getting on with your new phone after few days of playtime :-)

Kind Regards 

Gregor

Why iD Mobile?