Question

Trying to upgrade: Payment declined

• 28 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi there,

I’ve decided to upgrade my phone - probably not the best time, but here we are.

I’ve successfully authenticated with my bank several times, but the page keeps saying the payment has been declined, and asks me to try again. I’ve just checked my banking app, and I’ve been charged £0.01 four times! Obviously I hope this isn’t four separate plans I’ve signed up to.

I’m sure there’s something I’m doing wrong, but would be great if someone could get in touch with me to resolve this.

Best,

James

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @James Haikney 

Has it said “Payment Declined” four times?

Have you tried to use another card at all?

Those 1p payments would be automatically refunded to you within 1 - 4 days.  If it was definitely an upgrade through ourselves you were attempting then no more than 1 order (using the existing iD Mobile number) would go through.

It might be best trying a different card if possible. 

Failing that, you could contact us by email 

Please include there:

• Your full name
• Full address including postcode
• Telephone number
• Email address

Or contact our Social Media Team through Facebook or Twitter.  We’re limited in numbers at the moment, with what’s going on.  But we’ll get back to all the contact received as fast as we possibly can.

Hi there,

It’s had the above message several times. Very frustrating!

Basically, I live in a block of flats, and what I suspect is happening is that small changes in how the address is recorded (aka Flat #, Name of Block, Street, Town, City) is making the system believe that my billing address is different on my card and my account. I’m trying to get in touch with my bank to verify exactly how my address is recorded there, but unsurprisingly I’m having the same issue with getting in touch with someone.

Does that sound like a likely theory to you? What else might be causing the issue? I’m happy to shoot off an email, but if it’s something I can troubleshoot myself it’d save me a wait and save an overburdened person at that email address another task.

EDIT: To clarify, I have indeed tried to use another card. Same issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @James Haikney,

What you have said there is pretty accurate with what I’ve seen happen in the past too. Sometimes the first line of the address may be recorded slightly differently depending on the system and even more so when the address is, for example: Flat 1a High Street on one system but it has been entered as Flat a, 1 High Street for instance on another. 

If you can please log into your account online to ensure that the address is displayed exactly the same on both our side and the bank's side then this may help in resolving the issue.

Ryan

Hi,

I’ve now managed to successfully change my address (so it matches), but I’m having the same issue. I suspect the bank might be delaying the change, meaning iD is still seeing the old address.

However, is there anything else that could be causing the issue? Obviously I’ve been troubleshooting this issue all weekend now, and I’ve never had trouble with my bill payments or anything like that before, so I’m getting frustrated that I’m being so utterly stonewalled here.

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty close to just cancelling my contract and starting afresh with a different network.

Still no joy, so maybe not a delay. Is it possible that my account has been stopped from upgrading after several failed attempts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @James Haikney,

If you reach out to us, we’ll make sure your details match on the order system just to rule out any issues with the address.

Hi there @James Haikney 

Has it said “Payment Declined” four times?

Have you tried to use another card at all?

Those 1p payments would be automatically refunded to you within 1 - 4 days.  If it was definitely an upgrade through ourselves you were attempting then no more than 1 order (using the existing iD Mobile number) would go through.

It might be best trying a different card if possible. 

Failing that, you could contact us by email 

Please include there:

• Your full name
• Full address including postcode
• Telephone number
• Email address

Or contact our Social Media Team through Facebook or Twitter.  We’re limited in numbers at the moment, with what’s going on.  But we’ll get back to all the contact received as fast as we possibly can.

Mohammed

Hi,

I emailed a couple of days ago, so still waiting on that. Obviously it’s understandable that there’ll be a significant delay.

Why iD Mobile?